1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thames at Caversham

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by mr_botak, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I've had my e-pm1 for a month now. Thought it was about time I posted something these are with my newly aquired OM Zuiko 2/85. A nice lens, in theory a fast, compact, 170mm equivalent on the pen. In practice certainly compact, but not fast. f2.0 isn't nice - produces CA you can see on the LCD! f2.8 could be interesting with right lighting, by f4.5 it is very useable, though it really get's going at f5.6 and f8. We finally caught some sun and I wanted to play, so I did. Felt good to be 'manual' again. Results so so I guess.

[​IMG]

Somewhat underexposed - not bad for a first try though. These are mostly in program mode, maybe A is the better choice.

[​IMG]

Swans looking good. F5.6 makes it hard to isolate a subject, and in any case I'm not that good at manual focusing after a 20 year hiatus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16x9 crop saved this shot to a degree. That's the ferry across the river to the bowling club.

[​IMG]

The ferry tied up.

[​IMG]

We've been gone just over an hour. 1/1250th works better than 1/2000th here perhaps.

All in all it was fun with this lens. it's a nice length, shame it isn't sharper wider, but nice nonetheless.

Enjoy,

David

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Was that the sunny bit today? I wanted to get out into it for some snapping but couldn't, and then it went back to nasty.

Here's a couple I did 'earlier' (EPL1 & kit lens):

6631514515_a24e106c7b.

6631515837_9ee18ef2d6.

and here's some population of that bowling club, this one 40-150 (watching David Walliams, and a couple watching my birdie)):
    6631545527_5e73328866.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Good Morning Spuff. Nice to see the members of the bowling club. It was Sunday morning, yesterday's brightness was all too brief.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for taking the time and showing us some pictures David. This one I like the best. The aspect ratio works really well with this shot. I don't mind the quirks of old lenses, give the picture some character I reckon. How do you like the focal length of the 85mm? Is it similar to what you used to use?

good onya,

icon

5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Hi icon. Back in the day when OM was current I had an OM-10. Very nice camera, but could only afford a couple of Tamron zooms. One went up to 200, but I never really used it at that length seriously. In the interim I've enjoyed various Canon Ixus cameras that went up to 135 ff equiv. So this is the first time 'forcing' myself to use this length.

I enjoyed using it, and I like some of the shots I took, but I need to work on the composition at this length.

I always wanted this lens and a few other 'real' OM lenses so I thought I'd give them a go. Just a shame the adapter tube is so long by necessity.

• Like Like x 1