Thai Protest

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by robbie36, Dec 1, 2013.

1. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I wanted to go there for the Christmas. Do you think it is safe?

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It is 2 months since I last posted photos from the Thai protests. Things have changed. Things have moved on. The crowds are smaller but the determination of the hard core still left is as strong as ever. Today is election day in Thailand - it will resolve nothing. There is a growing trepidation here that it is all going to end in violence - probably sooner than later. The two sides are increasingly polarised and unwilling to negotiate - one side claiming a political democratic mandate - and the other claiming that the only mandate to is corrupt the political process.

'I am a traitor'
    protesters2-4.

Hardcore protesters have been camped out on the main streets of Bangkok for a while and many look exhausted.

Jaywalkers will be prosecuted
    protesters2-5.

Tented village
    protesters2-6.

Amongst the 'protest chique'....

Am I serious 1?
    protesters2-2.

Some faces are looking increasingly ominous

Am I serious 2?
    protesters2-1.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the current protests is that they have taken on a slightly different form to 2006 and 2010 protests. If anyone can remember these were seen as the 'yellow shirts' (yellow representing the King) and red shirts (supporters of Thaksin). While this political divide has many similarities, the overwhelming symbol of the protests has been the Thai flag - protesting against the Government for the good of the Country. In fact yesterday many of the protesters were wearing 'red shirts' (despite being inherently yellow) in a celebration of Chinese New Year.

I am Thai
    protesters2-3.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I was in Thailand 2 years ago last November during a month long trip, but, as Bangkok and Ayutthaya were still flooded, we visited Sukothai, Chiang Mai, and Mai Hong Song before heading to Luang Prabang, Laos. Very disturbing what is happening. I know Chiang Mai is more Thasksin country than Bangkok, and the people there were wonderful. After over a week amid the hustle of Chiang Mai, though, the sleepy little hamlet of Mai Hong Song was very welcome. I hope to go back that way in November, but may well miss Bangkok again - or go straight to Laos - if the opposition is unable to accept the results of elections.