Thai micro crab (pic)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ecooper, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Ecooper

Ecooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I recently bought a couple of Thai micro crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) to photograph and add to my aquarium. These critters were really tiny and my aquarium is chock full of wood and plants. I knew that once I added the crabs I would be lucky to ever see them again; so I took the time to take photos first.

This is one of a series I posted on my blog (Portrait of a Thai micro crab | macrocritters).

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11-22 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/4 power), ISO: 200
    [​IMG]P8030207 thai micro crab copyright ernie cooper by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I also tried shooting a little video (link below). I didn’t have very much light and had to shoot with the lens wide open, so the depth of field is really shallow. Only later did I realize that I should have increased the ISO so that I could have used a smaller aperture (and gained depth of field) (smacks head). Oh well, next time...

macrocritters | What's a nice bug like you doing in a place like this…?

[ame=]Thai micro crab (Limnopilos naiyanetri) - YouTube[/ame]
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    That's a totally cool "macro video" to go along with your still image :cool:
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Nice shot of the micro crab! Hope you don't have small fishes in your acquarium, or they might be harmed by these little critters!