1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thai micro crab (pic)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ecooper, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Ecooper

Ecooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ernie
    I recently bought a couple of Thai micro crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) to photograph and add to my aquarium. These critters were really tiny and my aquarium is chock full of wood and plants. I knew that once I added the crabs I would be lucky to ever see them again; so I took the time to take photos first.

This is one of a series I posted on my blog (Portrait of a Thai micro crab | macrocritters).

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11-22 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/4 power), ISO: 200
    9315672384_0df0ba7124_z. P8030207 thai micro crab copyright ernie cooper by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I also tried shooting a little video (link below). I didn’t have very much light and had to shoot with the lens wide open, so the depth of field is really shallow. Only later did I realize that I should have increased the ISO so that I could have used a smaller aperture (and gained depth of field) (smacks head). Oh well, next time...

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters | What's a nice bug like you doing in a place like this…?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91MHjCL0ND4]Thai micro crab (Limnopilos naiyanetri) - YouTube[/ame]

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's a totally cool "macro video" to go along with your still image :cool:

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very cool! :2thumbs:

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Nice shot of the micro crab! Hope you don't have small fishes in your acquarium, or they might be harmed by these little critters!