1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Texas Court Upholds Right To Take 'upskirt' Pictures

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Aushiker, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    More details in the article at the Guardian.

Andrew

2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Personally, I've always felt an 8X10 field camera was best for 'upskirt' photos. What you lose in 'stealthiness' you gain in incredible detail. Though I 'hear' that giant wooden tripod can trip the subject and land her in the hospital. A small sacrifice, I think, to maintain my freedom of speech.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Wow, that's ridiculous. What court was this? Some district court in some back-water town in the state?

Isn't the Guardian a bit of a tabloid-rag anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    The Guardian has been around since 1821. I don't think its is described as tabloid.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  5. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Yeah, but tabloids have been around since 1821 too... Maybe I should rephrase: Aren't they like the FOX news of the UK? ;-)

6. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    From Wikipedia ...

Each to their own but in my world it is a pretty credible paper.

Andrew

7. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    The Guardian has a strong liberal bias (by UK standards, let alone US) but it's a 'credible' newspaper rather than the gutter press. Avoiding the word 'tabloid' as sheet size is no longer a differentiator in journalistic integrity here.

This has reminded me though, in the US next month, need to research photography law in California, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma and Texas. Not planning on any upskirt shots (don't own an 8x10) but would be nice to avoid accidentally breaking the law.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, the court was in Texas.

9. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    All the explanation needed . . . :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Reading the article, it seems the criticism is on the wording of the law.

Just under the first photo caption it says "Judges expressed concern that the broadly-worded law could lead to the criminalisation of paparazzi journalists"

And later in the article "The appeals judges appeared to agree, stating that although “upskirt” type-images are intolerable invasions of privacy, the wording of the law is too broad."

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... no different than women breast feeding in public ........

12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Laws putting you in jail for intent make me nervous. How does the law prove intent?

13. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Wow not a fan of Texas even though I live in Dallas. Some pretty insulting comments here.

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

15. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    I think discussions are fine, even unsavory ones like this. I am guessing upskirt photographs are not a texas thing.

16. usayit

The one that was closed was less - unsavory and even less controversial.

17. usayit

Btw... The article is being purposefully controversial with the opening paragraph and title. They made it sound like the court upheld the right to invade ones privacy which is further from the truth. its terrible tabloid style writing EVEN if it is from a historically respected source.

READ between the lines.....

I personally think the Texas court ruled correctly.

18. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    But we still don't know which court it was... Some lower court? Some folding-table-and-chair courthouse?
    Or did it reach appeals?

19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Ahem... no... no... no.. they are the absolute opposite of Fox 'News'... the Guardian is like the Washington Post.. a well respected liberal leaning daily broadsheet

really if you think the Guardian is like Fox news you really ought to learn to do some research before making stupid statements

sheesh

K

• Like Like x 1
  20. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I thought reading the article that the judge thought the law could be misused to stop legitimate photography including some journalism work and as such needed to be more precise in its language. The Guardian is a quality slightly left of centre paper but on occasion has the habit of over dramatising things and has some opinion piece writers who seem to be deliberately provocative. It is though the paper that broke the whole hacking scandal over here, was bold enough to print the NSA things and does run articles on things that are kept quiet else where. The comment section can be a great chuckle sometimes as well.