1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tethering - Olympus Capture is now available for download

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chimopaul, Sep 23, 2014.

1. chimopaul

chimopaul New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2014
  2. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    They only say "compatible products." Do we know which cameras those are? Specifically, does the OM-D EM-5 work with it?

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    There seem to be several little problems with it, but it is impressive and works.

The Rec View window never shows anything and I still don't know what it is for, despite reading the updated help file.

If I try to change the aspect ratio or press Boost it sometimes says it has failed to communicate with the camera.

4. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    It says
    "This software is compatible with Olympus cameras equipped with the tethering function.
    E-M1 F/W version 2.0 is supported. (As of September 2014)"

on this page

Others will require a firmware update first.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Record View is where the resulting photo taken can be seen (apart from it being directed to an editing program, e.g. OV3) as Record View is on the camera when it is enabled.

6. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    OK, thanks. I had Rec View turned off on the camera. Now I have it set to Auto it is working.

Probably more useful to direct the output to OV3 in practice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Initial advertising indicated it could be directed to other programs too, like CO, LR & others, but I haven't tried it to Capture One yet (nor checked if I can).

8. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The only option for automatically running a program is for OV3. But I directed the photos to a folder and ran ACDSee Pro with that folder open, and the photos appear automatically.

I am impressed by the smooth operation of the program. You can even show the level indicators on the PC, which is very neat.

9. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    I am running it with the Live View, Rec View and Histogram unchecked and that just leaves a small applet for camera control (SCP). You can also minimize the Flash RC if you are not using it. I then set up LR to auto import and the RAW file comes up in LR in about 5 seconds; MN jpeg in about 3. Very responsive. I like it.

Phil

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

I had a play with that level too & am impressed with amount of control in this program. The only thing missing is zoom control for EZ lenses (12-50 & 14-42 as it is in WiFi control from an iPad), but I guess since this is for studio use then those lenses are not likely to be used.

That should mean Capture One (Pro 7) can be be set up the same way with it importing files from the same folder (although I may need to explore other importing options in CO7).