1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tethered shooting

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ilikecheesecake, May 10, 2012.

1. ilikecheesecake

ilikecheesecake Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    Hi

I have just bought a GX1 with 7-14 mm lens and want to use this for time-lapse photography. Unfortunately tethered shooting is not supported by the GX1 (found out too late). However since it's such an nice camera and perfect for time-lapse with manual settings and great lenses. I thought if we put some pressure on panasonic they might update the software to support this.

So email them and ask for it. If we succeed it will open a whole new level of experience for us all.

you can see some of my stuff from the Olympic Stadium at www.adamwilson.co

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Maybe an Eye-Fi card ?

Possibly a bit slow but at least you can drop them onto a laptop or website.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks phigmov, but the eye fi card won't give the option of controlling the camera with a computer as it seems to only the transfer of picture files from the camera to the computer.
    The setup I want to use is the GX1 connected to a mac mini
    mac mini runs automator workflow to take a photograph every 2 minutes
    Automator sends picture to aperture
    Aperture sends picture to my iMac and phone via a tethered iPhone.
    imac in Denmark , camera in London

The reason I want to do this is that at the moment I use Nikon D200's and remote timers but I need to change the batteries in the timers once a month. The GX1 I want to put in a housing with the computer, plug it into the mains and walk away. I won't be able to get access to it for about 12 months or so.

I chose the GX1 fro its compact size as I have some other stuff to go into the box as well.

Cheers, ilikecheesecake

4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Unfortunately neither Panasonic nor Olympus cares about "advanced" features like tethered shooting, you're better off with a Canon or Nikon camera for this. If you'd google for something like "tethered shooting micro four thirds" you'd find many cases where m43 users tried contacting the manufacturers and received negative answers. Panasonic in particular said that they aren't going to implement this feature in their m43 cameras, at least in the foreseeable future. And Olympus doesn't implement this feature on purpose, suggesting to those who need to shoot tethered to invest in a bit more than dead four thirds system, and buy a camera like E-5. If you absolutely need to control the camera remotely then you're out of luck, m43 system hasn't matured yet for features like this and maybe even never will.

If you can just set up the camera once and leave it shooting with those settings only you may want to do some research about remote controls, I've got one similar to this for Olympus: Amazon.com: GSI Super Quality Multi-Function Timer Remote Control Shutter for Olympus SP-510 UZ, SP-550 UZ, SP-560 UZ, SP-565 UZ, SP-570 UZ, E400, E410,E420, E510, E520 Cameras, LCD Illuminated Screen, Exceeds the Olympus RM-UC1: Camera & Photo
    They are usually powered by a couple of AAA elements, so it shouldn't be hard to find an external power supply that will last 12 months. How do you power your cameras for 12 months without external power supply anyway? And a picture every 2 minutes, it's ~ 260k pictures a year, so they should obviously go to a hard drive automatically, not sure if Eye-fi cards can do it. If they can and you have a power supply for the camera, using a simple remote shutter control with an external power supply might work for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The other alternative is to try Time Lapse and a Wifi card, there are options for time lapse that may work on the GX1 as they did on the GF1, it may be an option to consider but will not allow control from afar.

JJC TM-D Multi-Function Timer Remote Control
    But for about $50-$70 you can get a third-party timer cable release that does the job quite nicely. There are a few variants, including the JJC TM-D Multi-Function Timer Remote Control, the RainbowImaging LCD Timer Remote Control, the RainbowImaging Wirelss LCD Timer Remote Control. The specific one I use is the JJC TM-D Multi-Function Timer Remote Control, sometimes sold under different listings online. The key thing to look for is the letter following the “TM-”. JJC also makes remotes for a bunch of other cameras with different connectors (details here), but the one that’s compatible with the GF1 is the TM-D. And it’s worth shopping around–the price varies quite a bit online.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks all for replying,

I use an ac adapter to power the cameras that I have and they run off 110v (Site Electrics).
    As for the remotes that control the shutters on the Nikon cameras that I'm using at the moment. I like to change the batteries each month as I know that they don't have a problem lasting that long.

The mac mini has a 500gb hard drive which is enough to store the photo's on plus theres a 1tb hard drive in the box.

The main reason I wanted tethering was to stream the photographs to my computer here and as I am unable to access the box with the stuff in till the excavation is finished, changing batteries is not possible so I need a timer that runs off the mains i.e. a computer.

The reason I posted here is that I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that can make use of tethering and that with a bit of pressure from users, Panasonic may issue an update to facilitate this.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

7. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    The thing as I understood it when researching tethered shooting options with m43 is that Panasonic can't just issue a firmware update, there's more to it than just a software patch. And there are other big forums out there, people tried this "let's mail them all together and ask" approach. Didn't work. Panasonic just doesn't care, not enough users need this feature to spend funds on implementing it. Not sure about Olympus, maybe they're planning to release E-7 or something with 16mp sensor and maintain Four Thirds system for a little while more since they said "E-M5 is not a professional camera" (and it doesn't support tethered shooting).

Anyway, if you absolutely need remote control, you'll have to get a Canon or Nikon.

8. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    "The thing as I understood it when researching tethered shooting options with m43 is that Panasonic can't just issue a firmware update, there's more to it than just a software patch."

What exactly is required then if it's not just software. As I understand, from Apple, the camera needs to be able to support script. Thats software.

9. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    You connect the camera to a computer through some interface, some port on the camera. The minimum requirement is that this interface has to be able to send and receive specific control commands and the camera has to be able to understand them so there are some hardware requirements for all this to work, either already met or not. I didn't say that there are hardware barriers, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are. When you connect your gx1 to a computer it's acting just like a card reader. You might need some special microcircuits or chips (or whatever, I'm not an engineer) in camera connected to the camera port in order to make it understand the language used in the communication between the computer and the camera. It's possible this language doesn't even exist yet.

The point was that just an "update to facilitate this" isn't likely to happen. "Update" is when you've got something and you bring it up to date, that is fixing some bugs or changing some features, maybe even adding something new but you add to something that already exists. And apparently Panasonic has nothing regarding remote control of the camera yet. They would have to write the software that you install on the computer and that's a lot of work, much more than just a firmware update. I think Apple has nothing to do with the code used to control the camera cause they either need an SDK from the camera manufacturer or turn to reverse-engineering in order to implement remote control with their software. They've got SDK from Canon, for example, and that's how they are able to make their software work with Canon cameras. Again, I'm not an engineer, but it seems that there's much more than just a script from Apple on the computer software side.

10. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    The interface for connecting the computer to the camera is there already in the form of USB. Apple computers have the facility to communicate with the camera already as they allow the download of files from the camera to the computer in iPhoto, aperture and image capture.
    It is the "take photo" command (script) in image capture that is not supported/recognised by the GX1.
    No extra hardware is required. Purely software.

11. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Thats not always the case. We do not know if the USB interface supports anything more than just Mass Storage Device communications. If the interface is to only show the camera as a card reader to the computer, than there's not much you can do to enable tethered shooting.

12. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    USB is just the "carrier" (I edited the previous post), you'd need some "logic" on both camera and computer sides to understand those bits that are being sent and received through USB, and it's not clear whether that "logic" can be implemented on the camera side by just the software patch. "Take the photo" feature is not what you need, is it? This can be already done with remote shutter cords, but it seems that it's the only feature that the camera "logic" supports. Real control like changing exposure parameters is what you're after and that's a different story since Panasonic has no software with any remote control functionality.

13. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    All that is required is the Take Picture command to be accepted and acted upon by the camera.

When setting up the time-lapse sequence the camera is set on aperture priority at f11. Exposure is controlled by the camera automatically, focus on manual.

If you start messing with the controls in the camera during the recording of the time-lapse sequence the results will not be consistent.

It's all pretty basic stuff.

14. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Well, that's not what is usually called "remote control" or "tethered shooting". In your 2nd post in this thread you said:
    and I assumed you need to actually control the camera, not just release the shutter. In this case a remote shutter cord with some power and an eye-fi card is your only option for now since I don't know any software that have any remote control over m43 cameras. They act just like card readers when connected to a computer and you can't control the shutter of a card reader, can you.

15. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks Tuanies

Well we're pretty much there as you can set the camera to PTP in the usb mode (required by image capture to take a picture) and I believe that you can use a usb remote to fire the shutter so ......

16. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    control camera/ fire shutter remotely same thing I don't believe that a card reader has a shutter. Does it?

17. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    That's the catch, :smile: the software installed on the computer doesn't see the "camera" attached, only the "card reader", hence can't actually control the shutter. Maybe there are some programs that can, haven't heard of any though.

18. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    :smile:Yup, thats the catch.

Well if there are programmes out there maybe someone knows about them.

Thats why I posted.

19. ilikecheesecake

May 8, 2012
    Denmark
    Just to put a twist on things maybe someone knows a neat linux code to make things work with a raspberry pi instead.

And thats not raspberry pie that you eat with custard.