1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Testing three zoom lenses- open to suggestions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Malcolm Schweizer, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    Hello all,

I have a PL 14-50 1:2.8 4/3 adapted to Micro 4/3, a Panasonic 14-42 and 14-45 Micro 4/3. I am kind of a horse-trader and in all my swapping I ended up with these three lenses. I will probably get rid of the 14-42, but before I do that, I figured I will do a test of all three lenses and post it here. I have a test target that I can use that has color, gray scale, and various test targets and lines, as well as another that just has a grid. I will use these in the test.

I would like to get input on what you guys would like to see in the test. Of course some things are given- take pics at full zoom and at 14mm, full aperture and stopped all the way down. Probably do some sort of indoor low-light test as well. I got rid of all my studio gear long ago, so I don't have a lot of lighting to use in a test, therefore I will probably do a bright sunny day outdoors and then do some indoors with available light, using the test target, and then maybe pick a subject outdoors to shoot that would show light abberations around edges that you might not see in the test target.

Oh and also I will do a short video of the focus speed. I had heard about the 14-50 having poor focus speed but good grief. It's like there's a squirrel in there turning a wheel to focus. Loud and slow! That said, wow the glass is amazing and the images crisp! Still worth it.

Anything you would like to see in a test of these three lenses? Let me know. I may do the test this weekend, time permitting.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I used "glacial" to define the AF speed of my 14-50/2.8-4

Too bad you don't have a 12-35/2.8 to compare also ...