1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Testing three zoom lenses- open to suggestions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Malcolm Schweizer, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    Hello all,

I have a PL 14-50 1:2.8 4/3 adapted to Micro 4/3, a Panasonic 14-42 and 14-45 Micro 4/3. I am kind of a horse-trader and in all my swapping I ended up with these three lenses. I will probably get rid of the 14-42, but before I do that, I figured I will do a test of all three lenses and post it here. I have a test target that I can use that has color, gray scale, and various test targets and lines, as well as another that just has a grid. I will use these in the test.

I would like to get input on what you guys would like to see in the test. Of course some things are given- take pics at full zoom and at 14mm, full aperture and stopped all the way down. Probably do some sort of indoor low-light test as well. I got rid of all my studio gear long ago, so I don't have a lot of lighting to use in a test, therefore I will probably do a bright sunny day outdoors and then do some indoors with available light, using the test target, and then maybe pick a subject outdoors to shoot that would show light abberations around edges that you might not see in the test target.

Oh and also I will do a short video of the focus speed. I had heard about the 14-50 having poor focus speed but good grief. It's like there's a squirrel in there turning a wheel to focus. Loud and slow! That said, wow the glass is amazing and the images crisp! Still worth it.

Anything you would like to see in a test of these three lenses? Let me know. I may do the test this weekend, time permitting.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I used "glacial" to define the AF speed of my 14-50/2.8-4

Too bad you don't have a 12-35/2.8 to compare also ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.