1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Testing the Legendary Panasonic G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by entropicremnants, Jun 9, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I loaned out my Panasnoic G5 to a friend so he could take some photos at his daughter's wedding. But in the time since I made the committment, an opportunity to shoot a hot air ballon festival with an "All Access" pass has come up. So, I need two cameras but only have the GX1 -- what do I do?

Well, I decide to resurrect my daughter's old Panasonic G1 and shoot it. It's the "granddaddy" of micro four thirds cameras. Can I tease shots out of it?

Here are some shots I took on my way home today. It was bright afternoon with harsh shadows -- worst case for a sensor with low dynamic range. But it did surprisingly well.

Keep in mind I shot slightly dark, and lifted the shadows heavilly to deal with the contrast. All are single exposures, no HDR and done with the Panasonic DMC-G1 wearing a Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens.

9000739629_25d3621e81_c.
    Panasonic G1 Tests: Such a Deere Old Tractor by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9000739305_173de330f9_c.
    Panasonic G1 Tests: Miss Mellie, Mayor by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9000738977_d5db4e0716_c.
    Panasonic G1 Tests: Miss Mellie's Marginally Marvelous Hat by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9001921602_8989e94fca_c.
    Panasonic G1 Tests: Old Wagon by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

If I can get photos out of this situation, I can use it for the hot air balloon festival. It's still "got it".

2. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    Yes, it's still got it. Let's not sell the G1 short, just because it has been superseded by higher "G" versions. I have two G1 bodies I've owned for quite a while and a fairly new G5. I know I will eventually accept the G5 as being a superior instrument, but as yet I don't trust it as much as my G1's. It still seems a little bit "cheesy" compared to the G1's. They feel more solid and more user friendly. I do not do video and haven't taken full advantage of the G5's touch screen, so the advantages of the upgrade are slow coming to me. I used the G5 yesterday to cover my granddaughter's high school graduation which was in a stadium under a relentless South Texas sun. About half-way through the event, the LCD which I was using to review shots, got a hazy cast to it so that the images were not clear. I am guessing it was the heat, since it cleared up just fine when I got into a cooler place. I don't know if the G1's would be subject to the same effect or not, but I had never seen that before. Thanks for posting the images. The G1 and 7-14mm are a potent combination.

3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Good stuff! I love seeing what older m43 bodies can still do. I'd still give the majority of the credit if not all to the one holding the camera. :cool:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    As people say ... the operator is more important than the equipment. But I think the EM-6 will improve my photography.

Gary

PS- Any camera with a big G on it is okay in my book.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, there is no reason why ANY Micro 4/3 camera, even the earliest ones, can't take perfectly nice photos in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. I recently got into a debate with a gear-oriented poster on DPreview the other day, and he basically was taking the position that the sensor on my E-PL2 was "crap". It's not crap, no sensors on these cameras are "crap". It's the same sensor that's in an E-5 for goodness sakes. It wasn't crap then, and it's not crap now - it's just mature and proven. Certainly, other newer sensors have surpassed it, but the camera is as capable now as it was when newly available.

Certainly, taking a photo in good light with a stationary subject, there is no way that any of these cameras is going to be limited in any way.

What HAS changed with subsequent generations is going to be 1) Better sensor performance in low light at high ISOs. 2) Autofocus speed and accuracy with moving subject matter, 3) Operational ergonomics, 4) substantially improved video performance, 5) Metering accuracy in complex lighting situations, and 6) Feature sets.

When used by a knowledgeable photographer, within the framework of photographic situations that don't push on low available light and challenging autofocus situations, and with knowledge of the metering characteristics of the particular body being used - ANY Micro 4/3 camera - even one of the earliest ones - is going to be more than capable of delivering very nice images, as this thread demonstrates.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL you went from "shooting in anger" to "legendary"....:tongue::biggrin:

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    "shooting in anger" is a colloquialism for "doing serious work", lol.

No ambivalence here!

8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I took a ton of great photos with my G1. I learned the basics on my G1. My daughter has my G1 now and is learning the basics. I'll probably be get more bang for the buck out of that camera than any other I'll ever own. I may never or rarely shoot with it any more but I won't let it go!

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The sensor in my G2 is practically the same as the G1 sensor. It continues to serve me well. Once the light gets low though I use the G5, but I hardly have to shoot past 1600. With the way people talk about high ISO performance you'd think everyone does their photography in the dark or something.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    My journey is the other way round, lol. I bought the G1 for my daughter back in 2009 and recently gave her a G3 in trade for it so I could put it in my camera collection case... where it obviously has not been able to STAY...

I could do very well with the G1's controls on the G5 I have. I love the drive lever and AF mode wheel. Great stuff. You have to get a GHx to have all that stuff these days.

11. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I still use a G1, never really felt the need to get anything else, although if someone has an OMD they want to give away I'll take it off you.

:smile:

12. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I've had the G1 since December 2008, but now mainly use the G5. But when I go back and review those older images, I'm still well pleased with the quality. In good light and low ISO, I can sense the G1 might have cleaner colors than the G5. I know that sounds silly, but it might have something to do with the G1 having fatter pixels. It's failing is high ISO, which the G5 does well at, plus video.

This has me thinking that at the next serious photo shoot I should deploy the G1 with a fast lens as a backup camera.

~Joe

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1 on #2

15. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    #2 is a great shot. Thanks for sharing.

16. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The first shot only has any real meaning for anyone who knows what goes on in that scene. That well-bolted thing in the back is huge water cooled copper mold that forms a shell on molten steel allowing an 80 inch wide, 10 inch thick slab to be continuously drawn out the bottom and down through 4+ stories of water cooled heavy steel rolls to emerge as a solid slab at the bottom.

It's such a dramatic place in operation -- that's why this scene means something to me -- the solitude and peace of it, like a stage setting when a theatre is empty, appeals to me in contrast.

But I'll probably be the only one who likes such a still life, lol.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yep, probably. :wink:

18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Why I oughta' ... :rant2:

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  20. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    My buddy tells me he went for the BH deal on the G5!

Now he will just ask to borrow lenses, lol.