1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Testing the 12-35mm at the steel mill -- full size OOC jpg warning

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by entropicremnants, Jun 4, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Okay, came into work with the GX1 and the 12-35mm and took one shot out in the dimmer part of the teeming aisle of the mill while they were doing startup preparations.

First picture is straight out-of-camera jpg, second is slight sharpening and curves adjust in GIMP which is all I have at work to deal with and I have a crappy monitor here at work so even I AM not sure what they actually look like.

[EDIT: Third photo from RAW added -- so the sequence is SOOC, Edited SOOC jpg, and JPG from RAW.]

It's at f/2.8, 1/8 second, 25mm (50mm equiv) focal length. I'll push it more later but this confirms that the stabilizer helps at least out to 2.5 stops.

I'll add a third shot from RAW sometime tomorrow after I get up to see what it comes out like. I used the GX1 rather than the G5 deliberately to see what it can do -- I'm pretty familiar with what to expect from the G5.

P1000405.JPG

P1000405-1.JPG

AND HERE'S THE RAW VERSION TWEAKED IN LIGHTROOM. I did NO luminance noise reduction so you can evaluate how the noise is for your own purposes. Again, original shot at ISO 640, lifted the shadows in LR 4.4 "100%" whatever that means, lol.

P1000405-2.JPG

2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I've noticed most of my fav pics on the forum have come from this lens. I want something wider than my PL25, so was considering adding another wide prime lens, but I may just sell the PL25 and get the 12-35. It really seems like its a great lens now and will be for some time to come. Thanks for posting these. Looking forward to some more!

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    John... wonderful result, crisp clarity. I love the 12-35 and so glad it starts at 12, instead of at the common (and less interesting to me) 14mm.

What ISO?

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Wow, I have to grab the horizontal scroll bar and scroll WAAAAYYY over to hit "Quote" and answer, lol.

Don, I meant to post that. Those are ISO 640.

It's not bad for the horrid lighting here in the mill -- I make a specialty out of pulling something out of available light here. As horrid as it can be, it can also be interesting, lol.

I'll be interested to see what I can get out of the RAW from the GX1 though -- it just doesn't have the "depth" of the E-M5 or even the G5.

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Oh, and besides forgetting to mention the ISO, this was taken in the "Natural" photo mode, with -2 noise reduction and +1 sharpness. Contrast and what-not was left in the default. I prefer the "Natural" setting because it squeezes more into the low contrast jpg that results -- when I use the jpg that is.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    John.. I'll bet you can recover a lot of nice deep shadow detail with the RAW version. JPG just throws away so much information. :-/

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Okay, RAW version posted in the original post and it's way improved but a few things to consider:

• I've been up all night and I'm tired, lol.
    • I did NO luminance noise reduction, so you can evaluate noise performance with your own standards.
    • I brought the shadows up substantially.
    Really, for a not top-of-the-line sensor design it's not bad at all for that light, handheld at 1/8th of a second.

I can shoot the GX1 even though the G5 is better. It is usable especially in good light (which this is not, lol).

Those are all hosted on my site and anyone is welcome to download them and play if that's your fancy.