1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Testing Sigma 30mm f2.8 & 45mm M. Zuiko 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dukenukem, Feb 15, 2013.

1. dukenukem

dukenukem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 9, 2012
    Spain
    Today, these two crystals have arrived, here a small test, RAW, no processing, focus in "A" 14X zoom, spot metering, tripod, 2 secs. mirror:

Sigma 30mm f2.8
    Sigma30f28.

M.Zuiko 45mm f2.8
    Zuiko45f28.

M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8
    Zuiko45f18.

Full scene:

Sigma 30mm f2.8
    Sigma30f28_2.

M.Zuiko 45mm f2.8
    Zuiko45f28_2.

• Like Like x 4
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Surprising how small the differences are - but there is a difference. The 45mm is (not surprisingly) a bit better. I suspect it would be even more noticeable in a large print.

3. dukenukem

dukenukem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 9, 2012
    Spain
    Yes, Zuiko is sharper than Sigma, but not as much as I thought. Processing the photos would be minor differences, probably.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Those are pretty close...The color on the Sigma looks a bit warmer and a bit more pleasing to me. The Olympus is sharper but I'm not sure you'd notice without it being pointed out.

5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    And to think that the Sigma is $200-300 cheaper depending on when you got it, pretty crazy.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Got my Sigma 30mm yesterday. I caught it trying to eat my lunch. :biggrin:

Attached Files:

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wow those new Art Sigmas look pretty nice! You need to post that in the Camera P*rn thread.:biggrin:

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have both lenses. The Sigma is a very nice lens, I've taken many nice pictures with it and like the long normal focal length, but... The out of focus areas look much nicer with the Olympus, the Sigma has significant amounts of CA (can be easily corrected in software) and doesn't focus nearly as fast. Not to mention that they are far enough apart in focal length, for them to used differently.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Whoa : silver and smooth ...
    If the 19mm looks like that I'm going to hunt one down for style reasons alone.

In lower light my Sigma 30mm focuses significantly faster than my mZuiko 45mm, just to add a different view to Rubenstein's post.
    In bright light they are both so fast I don't measure.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Hmmm... I find the Sigma focus a bit faster than the Oly... whatever they are both crazy fast :2thumbs:

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The Zuiko is sharper even at f1.8, though not by a lot, by 2.8 it looks a good deal sharper to my eyes. But the Sigma has less contrast; if you boost that I'll bet it looks sharper. Having said that, I'll repeat what I always say: it's not what it looks like straight ooc at 100% that matters; it's the final image. None of those are going to be as big as what 100% represents.

I just got the 19mm Sigma and like it a lot.