1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Test driving a GX7

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Wasabi Bob, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dmc-gx7 - a set on Flickr

I was offered the opportunity to test drive the new GX7 for a few days. Just posted three photos - planning on getting out tomorrow to see how it works. Being able to adjust the shadow highlights similar to the Oly really makes a difference. Focus peaking has three selectable colors with two sensitivity settings. A few features are not yet enabled in this unit, but overall it is stable.

The knobs are very retro, machined aluminum - tales me back to my 35 mm days!

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Well color me jealous! Enjoy!

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The water shot is fantastic, but the colors on "reflections" seem off to my eye. Maybe its just that shot and not representative of what the camera will produce. Looking forward to seeing more!

4. Wasabi Bob

This is an early sample, and I've been playing around with the custom color settings. Still not familiar with the shadow highlight feature.

5. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Is the EVF held in the down position with some type of retention clip or does it freely move between the up and down positions?

BTW, I am so jealous...

6. Wasabi Bob

It's not mine! Just trying it out. The EVF is fully adjustable, though not at all loose. It stays put. The diopter adjustment in on the bottom, so it can't be accidentlally adjusted.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Look forward to your reports Bob.

How do you like the EVF ? ....Giulio rates it as being superb, a99 superb....what are your impressions of it ?

8. Wasabi Bob

I like it, though I usually favor the LCD. Auto switching between EVF and LCD is a bit to sensitive for me. The look and feel of the body is solid, with the weight of a traditional 35 mm body.

9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Shots look good Bob. I'll have a full review tomorrow on Small Camera Big Picture. Very impressed with the GX7.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Awesome! How's the handling? Is the dial around the shutter easy to use? Customizable?

Also, is that the new Panasonic HQ in Newark?

11. Wasabi Bob

In manual mode you use the thumb wheel, and aluminum ring to adjust aperture and shutter. No, that building is next door to their new building. Shot it out the window when I picked it up. It's next door to the FBI headquarters.

12. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    If you have Panny 7-14mm, how's the flare with the GX7 (in comparison to say EM-5 or GX1)?

13. Wasabi Bob

Can't help you. No EM5 or 7-14 right now.
    Time to get some sleep. Will post some more tomorrow.

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Cheers Bob.

15. Wasabi Bob

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    On every other Panny with auto switching, the sensitivity is adjustable. I would assume it is on the GX-7, too.

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice set! I like what I see. Or at least through my iPhone 5 anyway. Looking forward to more photos and thoughts Bob. Thanks!

18. Wasabi Bob

It is adjustable, even at low, it switches when you get anything nearby. I'm sure it will be improved by time it's released.

19. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Meyerweb: When you say “adjustable” you mean ‘selectable’, correct? As in the feature can be turned off?

I know the G5 I briefly owned was like this, and like you I would assume and hope for the same on all new cameras that have an eye sensor.

It would be very disappointing to not have a feature in the menus to turn off the eye sensor for those of us that find the auto changing more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

20. Wasabi Bob

The choices are OFF, LOW, HIGH