1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Terrible purple fringing on MD Rokkor 200 mm F4.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by iamcanjim, Sep 28, 2014.

1. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    Chevery%20with%20tele%20715%20small.

Ok, I know I didn't get the focus or composition right here, but that's beside the point. What is causing the terrible purple fringing? The lens or some setting I have?

Taken with E-PM1 at 1/160 ISO 200 F4.5

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Wide open, most legacy telephotos designed for film will have bad purple fringing in contrasty conditions. If you can find one that doesn't, treasure it.

I usually just stop it down and call it a day. Alternatively, use the very excellent CA removal tool in Lightroom. It's good enough that I don't even both doing manual local adjustment, and while it's not perfect, it's at least tolerable.

3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Not beside the point, on many lenses slight out of focus in high contrast results in much worse purple fringing, that could be playing a role here. As already stated though not uncommon for legacy lenses to suffer from longitudinal chromatic aberration when shot wide open - that would be the cause of purple fringing in a perfectly focused image. Stop down the lens to reduce it.

4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I don't know anything about that lens, but almost any lens will show PF in a scene like that. Like Turbofrog said, old teles are particularly bad for PF in backlit scenes like that.

Again, I don't know this lens very well, but I don't find it surprising that you see PF here. You can use LR to cut it down, although that PF cuts into your subject, so you'll basically be wiping out color on a good portion of your image.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even my CV Nokton 25mm F0.95 shows purple fringe which is not very well corrected using LR tools.

A lens profile built using the lens and camera (the exact ones) also struggles for good correction. Compose and expose carefully.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Every one of my Voigtlander lenses (now all sold) exhibited purple fringing wide open; I usually had to stop down at least one stop and more often two stops to get rid of it. Hardy useful when you have a fast lens and want to shoot wide open.

7. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    It's funny. Even if I had nailed the focus (which I certainly didn't) that image would have been useless. Now that I finally got my 40-150 in the mail I have been getting slightly better results.

I guess that goes to show that modern but cheap lens > older but medium priced lens.

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The CV Nokton is specifically made for MFT and is modern and expensive. I've since learned to like purple ...

Of course, comparing F4 to F0.95 is apples vs. oranges.