1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Terrible Name for US Market

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Fineshriber, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fineshriber

Fineshriber New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2014
    Utah
    Scott Fineshriber
    Being in advertising for 2+ decades makes me wonder how much better Olympus and Panasonic would be doing right now if they had not chosen "micro" to describe their newer lens mount system. The Japanese like the idea of small. Americans, not so much. US sales would be stronger if they'd called it Super Four Thirds or anything else that was not diminutive.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    True...this has been discussed before. Don't forget it's also Mirror-LESS. How about Ultra Fourthirds? "Shoots great, Less filling!"

Or maybe they should have used something people can relate to like Mini-DSLR, nano-DSLR...still prob have the same effect. (yeah it's not a DSLR)

Or when people compare to Full Frame, we could just reply. This is FourThirds....That is 1 and 1/3rds frame!!

Make it simple like Apple. The ONE system.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    And that explains why Bill Gates of Microsoft is so damn poor.

• Like Like x 10
  4. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I don't think it would make any difference. Micro denotes precision and detail, not just smallness. A number of public companies chose "micro" for their names and I don't think it has made them sound small:

Microsoft
    Microchip Technology
    Micros Systems
    Microsemi
    Microvision
    MicroStrategy

35mm film was quite popular despite being measured in a small unit like millimeters. 110 film was pretty popular despite being small (about as big as Micro Four Thirds). Sometimes names matter and sometimes they don't.

5. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I prefer to use the term Mirror Free, as the cameras are free of the tyranny of the mirror and all that is entailed with that. :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I doubt it has anything with the name considering Panasonic or Olympus have practically ZERO advertising in N. America! I think Fuji did it right by starting upscale (yet affordable) and then trickling down. They created buzz with the X100 and trickled down that demand to the masses. They also triggered the camera retro craze by looking old school, something Olympus should of got right the first time around. Lastly, Olympus and Panasonic do a really bad job advertising that their lens mounts are compatible. Even the well-informed consumer has to do some research to figure these things out!

• Like Like x 1
  7. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    M43 in America should have been called "EXXTRE-M 43". Olympus's high-end lenses should have had a "BA-ZOOM-KA" tag instead of "Pro" on the side. Advertising should have had monster trucks destroying everything on sight. Then M43 might have succeeded in conquering America's heart.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Or how about the 'All you can eat m4/3rds'.

The 'Supersize for an extra buck m4/3rds'.

Of course in Scotland it would have to be called the 'Battered m4/3rds' in order for it to fly off the shelves. :biggrin:

9. Fineshriber

Fineshriber New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2014
    Utah
    Scott Fineshriber
    M43 does seem to be gaining ground though, in spite of any misperceptions. I know the word micro has not helped. It's the perception of tiny in a realm where the public thinks more megapixels must be better and "full-frame" is the "best." I just think it's interesting that the same labels have different effects depending on culture.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Olympus was behind the 8 ball from the get go as the marketing machine had already stamped the "bigger is better" in sensor size. They started with APS-C is great, then sold on bigger is better....now anything smaller than FF or APS-C is considered by most still in the P&S realm or inadequate.

I think that is more why the Nikon 1 system is not taking off as well as it could - Nikon and Canon's own marketing saw to that.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think they should of called it Hybrid Four-Thirds. That way they could ride the coattails of the hybrid car craze in N. America. It works too because it's a fusion of old and new technology. Frankly I thought Fuji going with the "X" is a little played out. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    NextGen 43

13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Or, in a post HHGTTG world, 42+1

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Few people were aware of Four Thirds when it existed so no need to stick to that name. People shoot with Nikon and Canon but they usually think of those systems as Nikon mount or Canon mount and much less so as F-mount or EF-mount. It's easier for people to think of products as brands. Far more people have heard of Olympus or Panasonic than Micro Four Thirds. I like CSC (Compact System Camera) designation. Mirrorless is a pointless word, most every camera in the world is mirrorless starting from your smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

15. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    PanaPro or LumixPro, then

16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    They should have gone with EVIL. Olympus EVIL, Panasonic EVIL, it would be great. Then they could release the 666 model. :tongue:

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Olympus should have called their camera line OM from the get go; no one would have confused it with film cameras and it would have resurrected a well known brand with no need to go on about the sensor. Again, naming their cameras such as OM-D E-M1 is stupid. Everything is digital nowadays, so why the 'D'? It should have been called the OM-1 from the outset. Even the 4/3 line was more sensibly named, starting with the E-1; simple, easy to remember and pronounce.

• Like Like x 1
  18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    "OM-1 for sale". Hmm, could be anything.

It is the Olympus insistence on linking modern cameras to legacy cameras (PEN, OM) that is the cause of this acronymia, not the solution.

If they drop all the PEN and OM-D stuff and the E too, their models become M1, M5, M10, PL5, P5 etc, and all is well.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    There is nothing wrong with referring to their camera heritage, it was well regarded, loved and remembered by many. If Olympus hadn't dropped out of the SLR scene and simply continued producing cameras, the digital line would have continued to reflect that naming convention. Names and association with brand identities actually mean a lot; there are numerous examples written about companies changing their iconic brand identities, because someone felt it needed updating/modernising, and falling in a heap shortly afterwards. Besides the name OM-1 etc, could not be mistaken for anything other than an Olympus camera; whereas, M1 could be a highway, BMW or whatever else.

20. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The word Olympus refers to their camera heritage, surely enough, especially when you look and see it is a camera not a BMW or a mountain that you bought.