1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Terracotta Warriors & Asian Art Museum

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by danimal, Mar 23, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I went with my wife yesterday to the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibit (highly recommended if you can get to it). It was a pretty good place to practice taking photos after looking at things. You can see the full set at Flickr, but here are a few of them:

8581923328_61032a5f65.
    Kneeling Warrior by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

8580823677_7642ff221a.
    Chariot Horse by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

8580833399_ce73439484.
    The Buddha Amitayus withThe Buddhist disciples Ananda and Kashyapa by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

8581932048_99cc815015.
    Dancer by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good stuff, Dan. Would love to check out the exhibit. Actually, I'd love to check out anything in San Francisco right now and get out of this terrible Boston weather!

3. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Thanks Amin! I feel for you. I lived outside NYC for seven years. The weather is what made me decide to move out here. :)

4. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    They let you take photos? When they were in Toronto they had so many guards there just to stop people from taking photos.

5. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Yup, I was surprised myself. No flash photography of course, but I didn't even bring one.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I love Terracotta warriors! Wish I could be there. Great photos.

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Thanks Ned!

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Brings Back Memories

I was lucky enough to visit but this was before I had my original E-PL1 so my photos were less than ideal. This trip to china, and especially my photos of the warriors (with my Sony H5 Megazoom) are one of the reasons I started looking hard for another camera. Luckily m4/3 was developing and I now have much better travel photo equipment.

I am posting some of these old photos just for some context for this thread. These are from the largest pit and they give an idea of the array of soldiers that were found.

pit01.

pit02.

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Incredible. I wish I had gone to the site, but until I can get there this touring exhibition will have to do :)

Thanks for sharing!

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh man, I would love to see this. I've been fascinated by the terra cotta warriors ever since I first saw them on a TV show years and years ago. That'd be awesome to see the site in China but even an exhibit locally would be really neat!

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've also had the honour of seeing Xian and surrounding areas back in 2004. My parents insisted on it. Something about educating myself of Chinese history.

Nevertheless, seeing the extend of the Chinese empires throughout history was pretty cool.

In 2004, I used a Casio... I don't even know the model number haha it was 5 megapixels, totally revolutionary for digital.

Did you have a chance to visit Mt. Hua? One of the tallest mountains in China, hell of a hike.

12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

I had a Casio at one point too. It was a pretty neat little digicam. My favorite old point and shoot was an Olympus 2020 which had an f2 lens. It produced much nicer photos than the typical point and shoot digicam of the day. I did not get to visit Mount Hua. I needed a month in China and did not have it.

On the Terra Cotta warriors, the layout was very large and the lighting was not too good. You really needed a fast zoom to get good photos in there and I was very dissapointed that my camera at the time could not capture these guys in the way I would have liked.

The lighting at the San Fran show looks interesting and you can get pretty close so it should be an excellent way to see (and photograph) some of the warriors.