Terns in Flight with an Ancient Adapted Lens

In 2019, I had, and sold, an Olympus 300mm f4 Pro. I loved it, but I sold it anyway and have been using an ancient Sigma 300mm f4 APO Tele Macro in Canon EF mount with a metabones Smart Adapter. I compared both lenses and the differences were subtle. The Olympus was a little sharper, and the Sigma had a little better bokeh. So I kept the cheaper one, but I have always lamented the decision because the Sigma is just too slow to focus for BIF.

This set is a good example - inspired by @atomicmak - I took 940 shots, and tossed 900. These keepers were pot luck. The background isn't the best, and I wish I was eye level with the water. But they aren't bad for a 20 year old lens that can only do S-AF and misses 90% of the time.

_SBA1763.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_SBA1742.jpg
_SBA1740.jpg
_SBA1591.jpg
_SBA1771.jpg
_SBA1744.jpg

atomicmak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mital Patel
In 2019, I had, and sold, an Olympus 300mm f4 Pro. I loved it, but I sold it anyway and have been using an ancient Sigma 300mm f4 APO Tele Macro in Canon EF mount with a metabones Smart Adapter. I compared both lenses and the differences were subtle. The Olympus was a little sharper, and the Sigma had a little better bokeh. So I kept the cheaper one, but I have always lamented the decision because the Sigma is just too slow to focus for BIF.

This set is a good example - inspired by @atomicmak - I took 940 shots, and tossed 900. These keepers were pot luck. The background isn't the best, and I wish I was eye level with the water. But they aren't bad for a 20 year old lens that can only do S-AF and misses 90% of the time.

View attachment 884015 View attachment 884016 View attachment 884017 View attachment 884018 View attachment 884019 View attachment 884020
oh man.. I bet you dont want to jump again. In my exprience with metabones ingood lights s-af tweak does really crazy job sometimes even better than native consider the bokeh, sharpness as i have my metabones ultra speedbooster and when i mount 600 II with 1.4 tc on stationed birds my god its just killer to have that reach.. plus with some set of practice the bif also can give super results for usre but not the best for speedsters.

These are really wonderful keepers.. I do use the technique of focus pumping for short burst like 4-5 frames to fire and regain even with native lenses and that proves much better than constant hoping for af lock which aint gonna happen with current processor and the soft oly have.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom