Tepid, warm or hot ?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
We've got an unusually hot summer here in France, and I noticed last saturday as I was picturing an outdoor event that my e-p1 was getting very warm to the hand whenever I picked it up now and then (I wear it around the neck, mostly 'on').

So warm in fact that I turned it off for fear of overheating, just turning it on again each time I wanted to take another picture.

Having had a couple of computers destroyed by heat in the past didn't helped feeling secure.

In a pinch : do you think I'm over reacting, or is thermal control of those pens lacking ? Any direct experience from those living under constantly warm climates ? How do you deal with that issue ?

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've noticed that my EP2 gets quite warm sometimes under my right hand when I am using it outside. I assume that this is the battery, perhaps I'm wrong. Anyhow, if it got Hot to the touch I would be more worried!

Mu-43 Legend
In full sunlight on a hot day at a car show last weekend, my EP1 got hot. Too hot. I did turn it off. I've no idea if your concerns are founded, but I felt the same way.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Electronics do get warm. I would only worry if it smells like something is burning.

I've no doubt electronics can and do get warm. But beyond a certain point, I had the feeling it was a bit TOO warm, and I've got the impression WT21 felt the same.

And in my experience, when the thing starts to smell, it's like boiled eggs smelling : it's way too late to recover.

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Since we are with quotes, what about this one :

"la prudence est la mère de l'armoire de porcelaine"

or, in englisch :

"carefulness is the mother of the porcelan cupboard"

If you feel unconfortable about the temperature of any electronic equipment, just turn it off.
As a rule of thumbs, every 10° C of extra temperature on electronics will make you loose half of the expected lifetime.
More than 20°C overtemperature can cause "sudden death"

Stay on the safe side,
Rafael

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I always turn off the G1 after having taken one or more photos.
Autofocus set at AFS.
Mauve: do you set autofocus at AFC ?

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always turn off the G1 after having taken one or more photos.
Autofocus set at AFS.
Mauve: do you set autofocus at AFC ?

I was just thinking :)rolleyes:) I almost always use the Z 70 - 300 or Z 50mm lenses when in the garden and these two lenses do take an age to focus. Sometimes I am having to refocus again and again and this might be what contributes to the build up of heat.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
What helps is to keep the LCD on/off to the fn button. The Pens do get warm but there is an overheat icon that will pop up on the screen. If that comes on, turn it off, remove the battery wait just a minute and then load the battery and turn it back on....

Mine does that a lot in the hot sun but I do the above if I see the icon.
The issue with the EVF on the Pen2 is that you can't toggle the lcd on/off...that's on or the evf is always on.....

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
"Green Photographer"

I always use the EVF which switches on when I start looking through it.
The screen is not in use when I take pictures.
Does that mean that I'm a "green photographer" ?

ilexno3

Mu-43 Rookie
I noticed only once that my E-P2 is warmer than usual. And this is after extended time shooting with the LCD screen on. Doing street stuff as I walk along in a very humid and hot climate (96 degrees).

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
if your E-P2 gets too hot, just dunk it in some soya milk ...

edb

Mu-43 Regular
I had an E-PL1 for a total of 24 hours and returned it because it got hot after taking about 4 pictures.

I bought an E-P2 and have only had it about a week but have not noticed it getting hot.

Janis

Mu-43 Regular
I have noticed my epl1 is the warmest camera I've ever had. The closest thing I can compare it to is the Canon G9, which is about the same size, has a bigger LCD, and never gets warm like that. It doesn't seem to affect the functioning so far but it does seem strange.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I live in Australia and our winter is can sometimes be as hot as your summer. Summer temperatures of mid to high 30 C are common and days over 40 C not considered unusual. 38 C is 100 F in the old measurement. Add to that humidity often over 80% and it isn't fun.

Never had an issue with my E-P1.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've always tended to switch my cameras on only when I need to. Startup time is pretty slick and not a problem for my style of shooting. When anticipation of the 'right moment' is needed it stays on.

re-note

Mu-43 Regular
E-P2 seethingly hot

My E-P2 does get extremely hot, so hot in fact that I have to force myself to hold it in my right hand and continue taking pictures.
I use the camera for concert photography almost exclusively. This means I have to carry on and cannot stop to let it cool down. The musicians simply would´nt comply. On average I end up with 200 to 400 pics in one hour.
So far I have not suffered slight burns as indicated in the manual and the E-P2 keeps on working as usual.
The icon streetshooter has referred to has´nt shown itself yet. I take it has gone into hiding. After all the heating up may not be a real problem as nobody so far has reported on an E-P gone on fire.
For me a camera is a tool and not a gem around my neck. In case it packs up it will not find a place on the shelf, but…..:warning:
A Panasonic FZ-50 I use for classical concerts just gets lukewarm so I have a comparison.

ilexno3

Mu-43 Rookie
My E-P2 does get extremely hot, so hot in fact that I have to force myself to hold it in my right hand and continue taking pictures.
I use the camera for concert photography almost exclusively. This means I have to carry on and cannot stop to let it cool down. The musicians simply would´nt comply. On average I end up with 200 to 400 pics in one hour.
So far I have not suffered slight burns as indicated in the manual and the E-P2 keeps on working as usual.
The icon streetshooter has referred to has´nt shown itself yet. I take it has gone into hiding. After all the heating up may not be a real problem as nobody so far has reported on an E-P gone on fire.
For me a camera is a tool and not a gem around my neck. In case it packs up it will not find a place on the shelf, but…..:warning:
A Panasonic FZ-50 I use for classical concerts just gets lukewarm so I have a comparison.

That is quite extreme. I wonder if in the future cameras which will be serving more and more capacity as video recorder also would have some cooling system built in them?

Latest threads

Top Bottom