1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tepid, warm or hot ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mauve, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    We've got an unusually hot summer here in France, and I noticed last saturday as I was picturing an outdoor event that my e-p1 was getting very warm to the hand whenever I picked it up now and then (I wear it around the neck, mostly 'on').

So warm in fact that I turned it off for fear of overheating, just turning it on again each time I wanted to take another picture.

Having had a couple of computers destroyed by heat in the past didn't helped feeling secure.

In a pinch : do you think I'm over reacting, or is thermal control of those pens lacking ? Any direct experience from those living under constantly warm climates ? How do you deal with that issue ?

2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I've noticed that my EP2 gets quite warm sometimes under my right hand when I am using it outside. I assume that this is the battery, perhaps I'm wrong. Anyhow, if it got Hot to the touch I would be more worried!

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In full sunlight on a hot day at a car show last weekend, my EP1 got hot. Too hot. I did turn it off. I've no idea if your concerns are founded, but I felt the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Happiness is a warm gun...

jlennon

• Like Like x 1
  5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Electronics do get warm. I would only worry if it smells like something is burning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I've no doubt electronics can and do get warm. But beyond a certain point, I had the feeling it was a bit TOO warm, and I've got the impression WT21 felt the same.

And in my experience, when the thing starts to smell, it's like boiled eggs smelling : it's way too late to recover.

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Didn't knew that quote. Thanks.

8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Since we are with quotes, what about this one :

"la prudence est la mère de l'armoire de porcelaine"

or, in englisch :

"carefulness is the mother of the porcelan cupboard"

If you feel unconfortable about the temperature of any electronic equipment, just turn it off.
    As a rule of thumbs, every 10° C of extra temperature on electronics will make you loose half of the expected lifetime.
    More than 20°C overtemperature can cause "sudden death"

Stay on the safe side,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 2
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I always turn off the G1 after having taken one or more photos.
    Autofocus set at AFS.
    Mauve: do you set autofocus at AFC ?

10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I was just thinking :)rolleyes:) I almost always use the Z 70 - 300 or Z 50mm lenses when in the garden and these two lenses do take an age to focus. Sometimes I am having to refocus again and again and this might be what contributes to the build up of heat.

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    What helps is to keep the LCD on/off to the fn button. The Pens do get warm but there is an overheat icon that will pop up on the screen. If that comes on, turn it off, remove the battery wait just a minute and then load the battery and turn it back on....

Mine does that a lot in the hot sun but I do the above if I see the icon.
    The issue with the EVF on the Pen2 is that you can't toggle the lcd on/off...that's on or the evf is always on.....

• Like Like x 3
  12. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    "Green Photographer"

I always use the EVF which switches on when I start looking through it.
    The screen is not in use when I take pictures.
    Does that mean that I'm a "green photographer" ?

13. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    I noticed only once that my E-P2 is warmer than usual. And this is after extended time shooting with the LCD screen on. Doing street stuff as I walk along in a very humid and hot climate (96 degrees).

14. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    if your E-P2 gets too hot, just dunk it in some soya milk ...

15. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    I had an E-PL1 for a total of 24 hours and returned it because it got hot after taking about 4 pictures.

I bought an E-P2 and have only had it about a week but have not noticed it getting hot.

16. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    I have noticed my epl1 is the warmest camera I've ever had. The closest thing I can compare it to is the Canon G9, which is about the same size, has a bigger LCD, and never gets warm like that. It doesn't seem to affect the functioning so far but it does seem strange.

17. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I live in Australia and our winter is can sometimes be as hot as your summer. Summer temperatures of mid to high 30 C are common and days over 40 C not considered unusual. 38 C is 100 F in the old measurement. Add to that humidity often over 80% and it isn't fun.

Never had an issue with my E-P1.

18. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've always tended to switch my cameras on only when I need to. Startup time is pretty slick and not a problem for my style of shooting. When anticipation of the 'right moment' is needed it stays on.

19. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    E-P2 seethingly hot

My E-P2 does get extremely hot, so hot in fact that I have to force myself to hold it in my right hand and continue taking pictures.
    I use the camera for concert photography almost exclusively. This means I have to carry on and cannot stop to let it cool down. The musicians simply would´nt comply. On average I end up with 200 to 400 pics in one hour.
    So far I have not suffered slight burns as indicated in the manual and the E-P2 keeps on working as usual.
    The icon streetshooter has referred to has´nt shown itself yet. I take it has gone into hiding. After all the heating up may not be a real problem as nobody so far has reported on an E-P gone on fire.
    For me a camera is a tool and not a gem around my neck. In case it packs up it will not find a place on the shelf, but…..:warning:
    A Panasonic FZ-50 I use for classical concerts just gets lukewarm so I have a comparison.

20. ilexno3

ilexno3 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    Lone Star State
    That is quite extreme. I wonder if in the future cameras which will be serving more and more capacity as video recorder also would have some cooling system built in them?