1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tenba BYOB 13

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by afg08, Aug 15, 2016.

1. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Anyone ever used one of the Tenba inserts? I am on a trip soon where I want to take a Pannasonic Gx8 w/ 12-35 along with a Pannasonic FZ 1000. Of course, any bag I have is a very tight fit. Because space is limited, I will likely have to put a bag inside of a backpack so I have been thinking that an insert might work even better than a bag and give me easier access. Any other suggestions other than the Temba? Thanks

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I don't have one of the BYOB inserts, but I've used the insert from my DNA 8 bag successfully. I also have a larger BBP insert that I can still squeeze into a backpack. Good way to transport gear in a backpack (altho not so accessible when using if you have stuff piled on top). What I do is put the insert with gear in the backpack for the flight, and when I get to my destination, put it back in the camera bag for easier access. The camera bag can be flattened and put in the suitcase, or even better, stuffed with clothes or other items and used like a packing cube.

BTW, the BYOB 13 may be too big for your proposed kit. The BYOB 9 may be a better fit. And/or get the Packlite/BYOB combo which includes a foldable shoulder bag to carry the BYOB insert. Tenba | Professional Photography Bags for Photography Tools and Accessories

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. MegletRamblesOn

MegletRamblesOn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I just picked up the BYOB 9 to hold my GX8 with 14-140 lens attached. The camera fits easily in one side of the insert, and I tuck a couple accessory pouches on the other side of the divider. You could easily split that up a little better to hold the GX8 and the FZ 1000. The Tenba also has clips on the ends so you could pick up the Op-Tech SOS or Mini SOS shoulder strap to use it as your camera bag at your destination.

I also have the Jill-E E-Go camera insert/bag, which is a bit larger than the BYOB 9 (probably about the same as the BYOB 13) and I like it when I need a little extra space in the camera insert or to fit in bags where the BYOB is the wrong shape. The Jill-E also comes with a shoulder strap to use as a bag on its own when needed.

4. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Thanks for the comments. The Temba 13 is likely overkill for this trip and either the Temba 9 or even 10 might work better. I was actually looking ahead to when we go to Africa next year and I would want to take an Olympus Em5ii with the 40-150 Pro. I think I'll order one of the smaller sizes for now along with the Packlite. Thanks

5. raucous

raucous Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a Tenba BYOB 9 that I picked up to use in a pack. It seems like it would be a great idea in a shoulder bag but I haven't enjoyed using it in my day packs. Getting access to gear in it when it's towards the bottom of the pack (even if it's just because the pack is mostly empty) is awkward at best.

My solution to the pack access problem was to order an F-Stop Guru UL a month or so ago, but that's not going well. Sigh... Would a quick release plate (like the Peak Design Capture) combined with a BYOB insert be more workable with a pack?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I have the BYOB 9 and 10. You won't get both cameras with lenses in the 9. With the BYOB 10 you may want to carry the 12-35mm from the body - but there are ways to get both cameras in the BYOB 10. The Packlite bag that comes with the BYOBs are larger than the associated insert so you can carry more stuff in the bag other than just the insert and its content.

7. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    The BYOB 10 arrived and with a bit of configuring I managed to get both cameras in and leave the lens attached on the GX8. I think this will work out well for a couple of upcoming trips.

8. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Oh, yes, I forgot about this issue. I'm fortunate that most of the backpacks I use have loops at the inner top intended for laptop attachment, so I am able to hook my BYOB on instead to keep it accessible. For the smaller backpack which doesn't, I usually just pack my lunch or sweatshirt below the camera insert to keep it at the top.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  10. raucous

raucous Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    None of the laptop inserts that I own have attachment loops, so I hadn't thought to see if any of my laptop capable backpacks have loops. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that one of them does, although it looks like it's too narrow at the loop location for the BYOB 10 that I'd now need to deal with my expanding gear collection. Still, it gives me an option to pursue if I give up on waiting for an F-Stop bag. Thank you!

Those reverential maple whiskey bacon donut pictures in your gallery are very effective. Hungry now...

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Maple whiskey bacon donuts? Where, where? :2thumbs:

12. MegletRamblesOn

Oct 13, 2015
    Seattle
    In the north-ish end of Seattle, on Monday mornings, the hand-made, small-batch Special Unicorn Maple Whiskey Bacon donut appears. Many other places make a "bacon maple bar" style donut, but not like this one. It's amazing. (Rodeo Donut, for the locals.)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    From our friends at Cupcake Royale! :). Their fritter certainly looks better than Top Pot's.

--Ken