tenba bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sebs_color, Jun 30, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Does anyone have any experience with Tenba Bags? More specifically the DNA 8?

Really considering getting bag. I would just use it for the epm2 with the 25mm 1.4 and the kit lens. Maybe a third if possible.

Any insight?

Also considering a koolertron... But I'm not sure yet.
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    No experience with the DNA 8, but I love my big rolling Roadie. Very good customer service as well.
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm not familiar with the DNA 8, but I do have a Large Messenger. It's a very well made bag. Lots of pockets, so small stuff occasionally gets lost.
  4. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Just got hold of the Discovery Messenger mini. I like it! Seems well made, sturdy grippy shoulder strap, padded pocket for iPad, a bunch of pockets for other cool stuff, and fits most of my gear in the insert ok...not quite all of it, but when do you need all your gear at once...

Fits my EM-5 with 12-40 attached, 7-14, 35-100 and 7.5mm fisheye OR 25mm F1.4, plus FL-600R.

All in all, a decent sized, not too big, not too deep shoulder bag.
  5. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have the Mini Messenger and my husband has the Discovery Messenger Mini. Both are great bags, but I really prefer the pocket/front flap on the Discovery. We had to have bags that would carry or MacBooks, so the slightly larger size was better for us than the DNA 8. I carry a similar set up to evilnim and it does allow for a little extra hight to throw some sunglasses on top. Overall, the Tenbas seem to be really good quality. I like the looks of the DNA 8 for bag to carry a tablet. Hummm.....maybe I need another bag!
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Funny you should ask. I'm considering the DNA 8 as well as the Think Tank CityWalker 10. For travel and day carry. For your kit, something smaller like a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 or 20 would probably be fine. Tenba probably has smaller bags too. I used a Case Logic CPL-107 sling on a trip to Japan for my E-M5 w/12-50, 17mm f1.8, and 40-150 plus FL600 flash. It worked well and for your kit, would have plenty of room.

I emailed Tenba for more information and the marketing manager kindly answered my questions. Good customer service.
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I second that; my MM10 fits my E-M1 with 12-40mm Pro lens + the 17mm OR 45mm in the bottom (I use a cloth pouch), AND the 9mm BCL fits in one outside pocket and batteries fit in the other.
    Memory cards go inside the lid.

Depending which 'kit lens' you have, the MM5 might even work for the epm2.

8. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    I have a small Messenger which normally takes my EM1 plus 4 lenses (1 attached). On occasion I have carried a EM1, a EM10, 4 lenses (2 attached), a Sony RX100, a laptop and an iPad quite easily. It gets a bit heavy at that stage, but my normal configuration is a pleasure to carry all day.

I particularly like the broad shoulder strap, the easy top zip access and the loads of internal pockets for items I want to be secure/hidden like passports, cash, etc.

All in all one of the best bags I have ever bought...and I have a lot of them that somehow didn't quite work as well as I had hoped.
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Interesting. I just posted elsewhere asking about people's experience with the Discovery Messenger Mini for a travel carry bag. I'm torn between getting the DNA 8 for daily carry, but wanting something a bit larger, like the Discovery Messenger Mini or the DNA 11 to be able to carry the stuff I'm bringing on the trip. The Discovery seems to be slimmer than the DNA 11, which is advantageous when you're carrying it around like a messenger bag. I like the zippered front pocket too. Seems a bit more secure. The strap seems to be better than the DNA 8. I like the strap attachment on the Discovery. Seems very versatile and amenable to rigging it for over the shoulder carry, or across the body and in back carry. More thoughts?
  10. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    I don't have the DNA 8, but I have used other Tenba bags. I have found them well built, good materials, and the designs are very useable.
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I have a Small Messenger and a Medium Messenger. Excellent quality bags.

I liked the Small so much that I made it my "man bag". I use it whenever I leave the house to carry iPad Air, iPhone, sunglasses, wallet, checkbook, some pens, small flashlight, knife, a camera and lens or two and another "item". Great to have that stuff with me and handy, all the time, without having to carry it all on my person. I just treat it as a carry-all shoulder bag.

The medium I do use exclusively for camera gear, but find that carrying numerous lenses in such a vertical fashion requires the lenses each be in a soft protective pouch, so the gear isn't all riding and banging into itself. I do like to keep my gear in tip top condition, which requires a bit of tending to. Price for everything, as they say.
  12. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    How did you manage to fit the EM1 + 12-40 + 17 (or 45) into the MM10? I also own this bag and I fit a EM10, 12mm, 9mm BCL and that seems to be a good fit without much room for more. (front pocket used with filters)
  13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    It's _very_ tight (maybe too tight?) but it does fit at least with the 17mm f1.8; I can't recall now if I tried the 45mm or not.
    The prime lens is in a cloth pouch, with the metal hood reversed.
    It's less tight without the hood (reversed) on the 12-40mm but I prefer to keep it on.

I'm currently using a Joby Ultrafit sling; I have to remove it to get the camera in the bag because it mounts on the tripod hole, and a quick release plate wouldn't fit well either.
    Even the Oly strap is problematic if you want to get it into the bag.
    I'm thinking of getting the new Peak Design convertible strap, at least with it the quick-releases should be usable at least on the side mount points.

I'm still very happy with this bag, currently using it on a vacation as my day bag. I am using my laptop messenger bag while in transit for the camera, netbook, tablet, chargers, etc. so I can keep a close eye on everything.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Hi Barry13,

Have you considered the Op/Tech Utility Sling or Mirrorless Sling? http://optechusa.com/mirrorless-sling.html

I have the Utility Sling left over from when I had a Canon DSLR and though it's a bit heavy duty for an OMD, it works great. The strap is very comfortable with the big neoprene pad, and the quick disconnects that attach to the strap lugs are very convenient. You can unclip the camera and stick it in the bag very quickly. I clip the sling to the left strap lug and use one of the Op Tech wrist straps on the right strap lug. Then I can slip the loop over my right wrist while hand carrying the camera and feel very secure. Works great and very reasonably priced. And, leaves the tripod socket free.

http://optechusa.com/ (just a satisfied customer)

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

I did look at the Op/Tech but preferred the Joby as I like the slide mechanism on the Joby.

However, I'm now doing a lot of 'street' photos, and am strongly considering a convertible sling/neck strap; I want to check out the Peak Design Slide.
    If that doesn't work out, I could just get a neck strap with QR lugs and still attach the Joby on the bottom.