1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tenba announces new Packlite line of collapsible bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Holoholo55, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Saw this on a Facebook post.

Tenba has a new line of lightweight nylon bags that will fold into a small pouch. They're made to fit their new BYOB padded inserts, so one could transport your big kit in a large bag and yet take out the BYOB and Packlite bag for a daily carry.

Not where you'd expect to find them. They're in their Tools category.
    http://www.tenba.com/Collections/Tools.aspx

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Great! The the bag is weightless and packs down to nothing! But you need to pack and carry the padded insert... hmmm.

Fred

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes, but you could take say 2 BYOB 9 bags in your carry on rolling bag and one packlite 9 for daily use. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's an interesting idea. What they need is a larger bag, call it pack heavy 7/9/10/13 that's made to carry 2-3 of the BYOB inserts. Then when you get where you're going you just take one out and use the packlite.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Well, that makes sense. I watched the video and the insert just disappears when the presenter wants to put away the Packlite bag.

Fred

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Time stamp 1:27 shows the BYOB in a rolling bag. Why I commented a pack heavy is the BYOB is taller than the case it's in, and I have the Tenba Large Roadie. I could see an event bag setup with large modules for groups of gear and a packlite for the church, for the park on the way from the church to the reception hall, etc.

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Do the inserts fold flat if needed?

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    My experience with padded inserts suggests not. The BYOBs look pretty solid and have a zippered top. Padded inserts, by their nature, have some thickness and resistance to folding due to the padding and construction. When you put the BYOB into the Packlite, I think the construction of the BYOB gives the entire bag its shape and structure. The Packlite by itself has no shape keeping structure. It's just a bag with a strap and a zipper.

I like to transport my gear in a regular backpack when in flight. It goes onboard as a carry-on. I don't find camera backpacks to be versatile enough and not very good for easy access while on the go. I put the camera gear in a padded insert from the Tenba DNA. Then when I get to my destination, I pull the insert out and put it into my DNA bag, which had been carried in the suitcase.

I think this is a great concept. It takes the carry bag to the lightness and compact extreme. Even folding up my Tenba DNA bag sans insert results in something much bulkier than the Packlite would. I ended up packing clothes and other articles in it and then putting it in my suitcase.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, I have the BYOB 9 with me now. It is solid unit, they are very well made. As far as messenger bags go, I would rather use the insert in one of my own bags.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Hi David,

Just out of curiosity, just what are you able to fit comfortably in your BYOB 9? I'm wondering how it compares to my Tenba DNA 8.

Thanks,
    Walter

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have my E-M5, O17 attached, 12-40 and 45. In the pockets I have 2 batteries in a ThinkTank holder, sd case, lens pen, kit flash, and two micro-fibers.

12. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I dunno why you guys get so precious about camera bags and padding...? I've had my GF1 in a 3mm thick neoprene pouch and my lenses in their factory sacks, all bouncing around in a Kathmandu fold-up-pocket-backpack hiking and driving around some of the roughest terrain in outback Australia on a daily basis. Both the camera and lenses all still function perfectly and look to be in the same condition as the day they were unboxed (give or take a little bit of dust in the crevices)... :rolleyes-38:

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Oh, sure, bouncing around the the third world and the outback is the easy part. However, it takes a finely tuned case of GAS to protect your gear from a tumbe off of a bar or Starbucks table. My guess is that lenses like the heavy O12-40 would not do well in a 3 - 4 fall. :cool:

14. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

City folk are terminally clumsy with their gear then...? :biggrin:

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    More hazards. Watch Crocodile Dundee.

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    So, tell me. Did Sue save the bag or did the croc get it? I can't remember. :)

(oops, had to edit) :-O

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Oh, I have a different take on it - I view Sue as a potential threat to gear.

18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Crikey!!! I didn't realise she had M4/3 gear in that bag...

19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's not a camera......

20. Peter_Tenba

Peter_Tenba New to Mu-43

Apr 8, 2015
    Peter Waisnor
    The DNA 8 and BYOB 9 are very similar in capacity. I realize the model numbers should probably match if this is the case, but regardless, they're basically the same. I move a Sony a7II system between both the DNA and the BYOB , and I notice no difference. The DNA 8 is my shoulder bag, and the BYOB 9 inside the Shootout 14L ActionPack is my mirrorless backpack.

• Informative Informative x 1