Ten thousand terrible photos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zathras, Nov 6, 2014.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    "Your first ten thousand photos are your worst"

Well, I have ten thousand terrible photos. Should I delete them? Leave them as a souvenir and clutter my Lightroom catalog with them?

Cheers,

Chris

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you delete them you have to start over!

• Like Like x 8
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Your next photo should be a distinct notch above, so just delete all the other ones and use your 10,001st photo as your desktop background.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Read a comment somewhere that in the digital age that should probably be changed to your 'first 100,000...' :smile:

5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Well I am screwed if that's the case!

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I thought this was a contest or something. Disappointed; I was a shoe-in for one of the top prizes...

7. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    You are welcome to 10,000 of my terrible photos if it's that important to you! You can help keyword them while you're at it

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    for every good one you take delete a bad one... oh and start to delete the really bad ones sooner... really... cull the bad ones straight away... the missed shots, the out of focus, shots of your feet, the focus tests and the HDR tests, or the focus tracking 10 fps tests, the lens tests, the brick walls... we all have vast chunks of useless garbage in our photo libraries

:)

K

• Like Like x 6
  9. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    checked my shutter count recently... 40K... in 11 months... (one big vacation though...)

I probably have 100 "keepers".... proving I am doing photography via the 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters method...

Lawrence

• Like Like x 3
  10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Are you sure they're all bad? I don't believe it. Perhaps some may just need some "juicing" with effects and contrast/colour play?

:)

11. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Well....... I shot with my D90 a lot and now I have the EM1 / 12-40 / 45 1.8 the photos I took with the D90 look blurry to me. I suspect that the sensor had a film on it because just after I got it I had to send it back because the autofocus failed. Turned out to be a dirty AF sensor. That's right next to the imager, I just wonder if it was oily or something? Also I shot 99% film for 5 years and most of those images look terrible to me now. Anyway the net result is I have thousands of images that look awful to me, partly due to equipment and mostly due to me not knowing what the hell I was doing, with a few dozen ones that are ok. Most of my favourite aviation images now look blurry to me too. That's all fine with me because the EM1 has revitalised my interest and the gear I have is finally not the limitation.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Bugger! I was contemplating a bit of a story on what people wear when camping, something like 'Feets of Endurance'.

And so I did.

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Try work hard in photoshop (fix WB, heavy crop, B&W, hard contrast, artistic filters, etc.): you could find a diamonds in the rough, if not...well, you did a good PP exercise.

Save a few on them and throw anything else on a DVD so that you are never going to see those again for a few years.

Pro tip: use continuous shooting for you first 10.000 picures: you'll get there faster :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    yeah except when I go back and look, my first reaction is "yuck, I really sucked back then", back then being anything earlier than last month, I think!

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it

16. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    I'm a shocker when it comes to deleting shots. My iPhoto library is at 70000 and counting!
    BUT, when they come at random on the screen saver, I sometimes find the kids just sitting and watching the old photos roll around.
    They are moments in time that spark memories, and discussion, and laughter and love, especially the endless baby shots. Yes they may be crappy and sugary sweet, but still worthwhile I reckon. (which is why I have 4 copies of everything!!)

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Your first thousand are you worst. Your next ten thousand are your worst as well. And so on.

18. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    After 50+ years of clickin', I am not much more satisfied with my results, than when I first began, with the Brownie 620 box, and it's hair pin shutter. Perfection is never reached. So, we're never satisfied. We always strive for something more. It is growth. Quit being dissatisfied, and you quit growing. And, it's time to put away the cameras.

I cull viciously, as I download to the computer. I don't want to come back and wade through the mess later, when I'm looking for a certain shot. Later, I cull again.

I recently received a SD card with the pictures of my daughter's wedding, from two years ago. It contained the combined shots from the "photographer", as well as four family members. Nearly 2000 pictures. I have begun "thinning" them. Big job. But what do I, or any one else, need with so many repetitive shots of one event.

My digital photos occupy only 12-15 gigs on my drive. My wife has another 16-18.

19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've pondered this a bit ...

When the years pass and my fame and glory continues to rise at some for off distance point in history all the old crappy photos will be "rediscovered" and released as a "Lost Treasures" portfolio then everyone will see what a fraud and hack I've been. My final tweak to posterity!

So, no culling for me. Think of all the free time I'll have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    Shot's of my feet? I love the shots of my feet! :biggrin: