1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ten Reasons I Ordered the E-M5 MKII, Though I Have the Original E-M5 and E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SpecFoto, Mar 3, 2015.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    My E-M1 has replaced the original E-M5 since acquisition over a year ago. The E-M5 has become a backup with only occasional use. Ten reasons why it is not used as much and why I believe the new MKII, ordered today with the 25 f1.8, will change this are:

1. Improved camera ergonomics. The E-M5, used as a 2nd camera alongside the E-M1, was somewhat cumbersome to use due to the different control layout, as the E-M1 is a better layout. The improved layout of the E-M5 MKII is a lot closer to the E-MI and resolves a lot of the confusion.

2. I want to learn to shoot video. The E-M5 Mk II is vastly superior in video to either of my OMD’s and I might as well start with the best. Besides all the added frame rates, OMD Movie will allow for instant video clips when shooting stills without having to stop and use a tripod.

3. Fast 81 point AF. This is a biggie… I shoot about 60% portrait mode and having the AF points at the upper and lower end of the viewfinder is a big timesaver for me. (As will the ability to angle the rear screen in the portrait mode vertically.) The AF on the E-M1 was much improved over the 35 point AF in the E-M5, and continues to refine with firmware updates - Thanks Olympus!

4. 1/8000 shutter speed. Needed for my outdoor work with models. The 1/16,000 electronic shutter could help too, but not with flash it seems, due to the dismal 1/20 sync speed limit. (Hope the sync speed limit is addressed in the first firmware update).

5. The Hi-Res 64MP raw mode. Really looking forward to this for my landscape photography. The hi-res files might be able to answer that pressing question about which is better at 12mm…the 12mm f2 or the 12-40mm f2.8. We already know which is better at f2…;)

6. Better EVF with improved stabilized view and image stabilization. Half press of shutter gives stabilized view and shifting compensation, neither OMD I have does this. Looking to use for shooting handheld macro with the 60mm f2.8 and (hopefully) in conjunction with #7.

7. Focus peaking on my OMD’s is not so good with my MF Nikkor lenses. This feature appears workable now with the E-M5 Mk II.

8. PC port. E-M1 works with my manual flash systems and ring flash, which the E-M5 could only partially do (no ring flash) because it lacked a PC port. Oly was really aiming at the studio photogs here and did the right thing by adding this small, but useful item (for me anyways).

9. Built in Wi-Fi with the E-M1 is now on the E-M5 MKII. Most shoots I upload to my iPad and find this very useful when shooting. The talent loves it.

10. Silent mode.

11-Bonus. The battery part of my existing E-M5 grip works with the new version horizontal part. Ordered the HLD-8G grip with the camera and saved $150. Again, thanks Olympus!

The E-M5 II will no longer just be a backup, but an active 2nd body for my shoots. Most likely the 12-40 Pro f2.8 or 17/25mm f1.8 will be mounted on the E-M5 MKII and the E-M1 will switch between the P/Leica 42.5 f1.2 and M.Zuiko 75mm f1.8.

PS, Not knocking the original E-M5, it was a breakthrough. Just that for what I shoot, the E-M1 was a much better camera for me. Here’s hoping the E-M5 MKII is the same.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Please explain what is "shifting compensation" in #6.

Thanks!
    Barry

3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    You forgot:

12. It looks really cool. :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    If I understand correctly that you mean IS is activated upon half-press of shutter and stabilization is visible in the viewfinder, then this is a feature going back to the E-M5. Maybe it's on by default on the E-M5II and has to be selected as a setting on the E-M5 and E-M1?

• Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Given the great updates that the EM5 mk II contains...I'm almost giddy about what the EM1 Mk II will give us!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...all great things to consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    You hit on a lot of the same reasons I pulled the trigger on an upgrade as well. Mine is finally in the mail after being backordered so hopefully tomorrow I will have it in my hands to see how accurate this list is :D

7. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    The 1/20 limit is due to how fast data can be read off the sensor and cannot be fixed with a firmware update. On my GX7 it probably would have been even slower but there is no way to tell how slow. Panasonic decided it was unusable and disables flash when the electronic shutter is in use.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    This is something I picked up off the Asia Olympus website. The way I understand it the image is stabilized in the EVF and minor adjustment are also updated, similar to live view on the lcd screen. This also now works in the movie mode. This was not the case before. Here is the link:

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em5mk2/feature.html

Congrats on your purchase, especially the awesome lens set you chose. I'm a prime guy and Oly's are the best. Even though I have the 12-40 pro and 17 f1.8, I added the 25mm f1.8. Mine arrives on Friday, so happy weekend shooting!

Thank you for the explanation. Never used an electronic shutter before and it seems I only will for quiet operation.

The 1/8,000 speed is just fine by me. I have already bought ND filters for my fast Oly prime lenses and P/Leica 42.5 f1.2 for when shooting outside in bright beach or desert sun with the E-M1. I like to shoot wide open and 6 stops of ND (just) works and is manageable. Having to add a extra stop because of the 1/4000 ss limit didn't work.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Not convinced. Sticking with E-M1 and waiting to see what Olympus brings next with its replacement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    In my portrait work I like to shoot with 2 bodies and lens combos, that is why I kept the original E-M5 when I got the E-MI. But due to the limits it has, specifically 1, 3, 4 and 9 in my list above, its use was limited. Many times I considered buying a 2nd E-M1 body, as I am really happy with it, there is not much I would change.

When the E-M5 Mk II was announced I thought the same as you, now I will just wait and see what improvements the MK II version of the E-M1 brings. However don't know if you saw it or not, two weeks ago an Oly camera design exec said in an news interview that the E-M1 will be updated, but most likely not until Sept 2016, or 18 months away, unless they were really pushed by competition and then it would be out in April 2016, but with less updated features. That made my decision easy and I added the E-M5 Mk II this week to replace the original E-M5. Yes, I could have just added a 2nd E-MI body, but you have to admit, some of the design changes and upgrades in the E-M5 MkII are very exciting, plus I want to use the 2nd body for video.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Another improvement is the mk2 is 4.6mm smaller than the Mk1. And 9mm smaller than the EM1. That's 10% smaller!

Some said mk1 owners won't find much reason to upgrade. But there are loads of improvements and plenty of us are proving them wrong.

If you have an EM1 you already have most of the goodies mk1 owners have been dreaming of. Including much improved ergonomics.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  12. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    All good points, but I already upgraded from an E-M5 to the E-M1 and not having to upgrade for another 18 months is wonderful and I can concentrate on the craft instead of the gadgets.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I upgraded from a Panny G3 and awaiting what the Em-1 MK2 offers. If, it's something substantial over the Em-5 MK2 I might upgrade again (Olympus holds value well).
    What tipped me over was the new flip out screen and the video upgrade along with the IBIS. Very curious what the EM-1 MK2 will offer - 4k video at 60fps? With IBIS? Insane!

On a side note I picked up the grip (HLD-8) Is anyone selling their old battery extension? How much more battery life does that offer anyways?

TIA,

Ken

14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Some Olympus executive said in an interview that Olympus would soon be offering a hand holdable sensor shift feature on their digital cameras. I'm thinking he was talking about the E-M1 II. My dream is that the E-M1 II will have a global electronic shutter! :dance4:
    Bobby

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I will purchase the E-M1 ii if it shoots 4k.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    4k would be cool. editing it would be a nightmare lol. i dont know what exactly would persuade me to upgrade to em1 mk2 vs the em5 mk2. Maybe if the video codec was better and higher bit rate more along
    the lines of GH4 look with the cine d on. Im very satisfied with my EM-5 MK2!

• Like Like x 1
  17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You haven't proved anyone wrong. You've only proved that it's right for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Hi you mentioned the older battery grip fits into the new grip for EM5 II. How much more battery life does this offer in addition to the standard battery?

TIA,

Ken

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I used the HLD6 with the original E-M5 years ago and it doubled the capacity because the battery portion of the grip held one standard battery while you could use another standard battery in the camera. I sometimes left the grip on the camera and just used one battery in the grip. It's much easier to change the battery in the grip than in the camera. If you keep one in both the camera and grip the grip offers a switch that allows you to choose which battery to draw from first. When the first battery selected gets low the grip automatically switches to the second battery.
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Not talking about me. All those keen to upgrade here just show how out of touch that statement was.