1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by boatman37210, May 26, 2013.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well, Olympus already said it was getting out of the low end market. With the resounding success of the E-M5, I just don't see it disappearing. I'm not crazy about Panasonic bodies, so if Olympus goes I'll definitely take the jump to the Fuji X-Pro, which I've been thinking of adding anyway.

By the end of 2014 there will be many fewer Olympus cameras on the market, but the company has already announced that much. I don't foresee much more. But this is from the guy who thought he'd retire from working in film/ enlarger based custom photo labs, which are mostly gone. So take it from whence it comes.

4. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Long established companies such as Olympus do not just go away. They get fixed. The Olympus brand is too valuable to just go away. Worse case someone will buy them and fix.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yeah, an established brand like Olympus isn't going to just "disappear" - it's a 90-year old name that's worth a pretty penny. I agree, at the most we'll see a management change.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You mean like Kodak ?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As stated, Olympus has already announced a strategy to counter every pitfall that article claimed... so I'm not too concerned about it. They're addressing the issues in the marketplace by dropping low-end compacts and only producing high-end compacts and system cameras. They're being very pro-active about this.

8. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Not familiar enough with Kodak's history to say "like Kodak". I believe they were bought out and are in the process of being "fixed". Takes time. Kodak is another name I think will not go away.

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    A name is never easily killed.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Maybe not killed - but never the same (Polaroid for example)

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, Kodak is back and is working on producing new Micro Four-Thirds cameras. That's kinda exciting, though I'm not really sure I would still call the "new Kodak" Kodak since the company which now licenses the name doesn't really have history or affiliation with Kodak. They do however manufacture cameras under the GE name and are an American company as Kodak was (though west coast rather than east coast). Only time will tell if what they produce will be worthy of the Kodak name, but we'll see very soon. Their new m4/3 cameras are slated to be released in Q3 of this year.

12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I don't agree that we can compare what Olympus is currently doing with Polaroid's lacklustre efforts back then.

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Kodak
    • Konica Minolta
    • Minolta
    • Pentax
    • Sharp camcorders
    • Yashica

Kodak - est 1888, Minolta - est 1928, and Yashica - est 1949 were all larger than Olympus.

In 2012 Olympus announced the close of 12 manufacturing plants, more recently they announced the closure of another 5.

Kodak, Konica, Minolta, Pentax, and Yashica are only connected to the past by thier names.

Sony and Ricoh are in the wings waiting....

14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I dont really see Olympus surviving in the camera business although I will probably end up doing my best to see that they do.

Last year they lost US$250m in their imaging division, their mirrorless 'sales' are only US$400m and their P+S business is in terminal decline and worthless. 3 years ago Olympus's P+S business was US$1.4bn.

I think 'mirrorless' itself is going to see a shakeout. 2 years ago Panasonic forecast that mirrorless would exceed DSLRs in 2015 with over 12m units sold. Now they are forecasting 4.9m for this year and even that is likely to be optimistic as mirrorless shipments are down 18% this year on last year's 4m of total sales.

What has surprised many people is the resilience of DSLRs especially FF where sales are actually ahead of last year. And, of course Canon and Nikon dominate this category. Most manufacturers are competing aggressively in mirrorless which isnt doing that well.

Meanwhile the biggest producers of cameras in the world - Apple and Samsung - are seeing their market expand almost exponentially. Smartphone sales were up 63m units at 210m in 1Q 2013.

15. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    the reports of sales, marketshare and profit seem to depict a struggling and failing camera businesses at Olympus and Panasonic. But part of the struggle is compacts, which are generally struggling across the board. still considering the drop in csc sales from '12-'13, it doesn't look like the problems are solely in the compact p&s market. odd that pentax isn't mentioned, since it has an even smaller marketshare, and the end has supposedly been around the corner for pentax as a camera maker for a few years, but they keep plugging alomg. with the em5 being sold out for awhile after introdiction, and oly still not doing well financially, how good can samsung and fuji be doing. has samsung had any model that was in such high demand that it was sold out for months?

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sure they do.... Lots of examples of this over the years. They default and go bankrupt (Lehman Brothers was the oldest and long running established in 1850s). They get dismantled (Bell Labs). They cease business due to fraud (Enron). They simply shut their doors (Service Merchandise). They go through "corporate assisted suicide" (too many to mention).

All of the ones mentioned are significantly larger than Olympus.

Yes.. and there is Kodak. IMO, Kodak is technically going through assisted suicide. They got purchased for next to nothing, Kodak becomes a name only, and then over time... simply fade away. The timing is all wrong for the micro 4/3rds announcement. I bet that JK imaging already had a micro 4/3rds camera in the works and simply looking for an established photographic name to attach to it. Besides, until it hits the market, using that announcement as a justification for "Kodak"'s resurrection is premature.

17. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    one thing about kodak though is that their failure seemed mostly due to the upper management not understanding the new direction imaging was headed. i remember that at one point kodak was the leader in digital, but the top management had come from the film side of the company and didn't think that digital imaging could replace film as the dominant imaging medium. they simply weren't able to conceive of the possibility and didn't see the point of investing more resources in digital.

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am not really sure that Olympus is oh so different.

Kodak was one of the first companies to come out with a digital camera and was a leader there for a while but it still failed.

3 years ago Olympus's point and shoot camera business was over 3x larger than its mirrorless business is today. Having the mirrorless business is no sure sign that it can survive the demise of P+S. Meanwhile it is non-existent in the smartphone business which is the largest segment of the camera market today.

19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I was in Chicago last week to discover its largest photo store Hilex was no longer in business. They carried Olympus but not Panny. Without bricks + mortar stores to evaluate and purchase MFT products, I don't foresee a long time run on the format. If one manufacture fails, the other won't be far behind.

20. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Long established companies do fail and never come back, but that is why I qualified my statement with "such as Olympus". IMO none of the examples compare to Olympus. Why would anyone want to resurrect any of those company brands. On the other hand, I think you will have investors standing in line to purchase the Olympus brand if it were ever to come to that. The article was about brands and I think the Olympus brand will go on for a long time. But then all of this is just an opinion.