Tempted to buy the E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Nov 22, 2012.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been wanting the OM-D for a long time because of the smaller size, it's weather sealed, IBIS is amazing, and has an EVF. I said I would buy it once I sold my Canon gear, and only sold a lens and bought a Sony RX100 right after to use at concerts. I feel guilty about buying the RX100 because I would only use it for concerts, and it's almost the same price as the E-PM2. I feel like I shouldn't have two cameras for specific purposes now that I'm a college student, and would like to have just one camera for all occasions. The Black Friday price for the E-PM2 price is so tempting! My ideal lenses on m4/3 is the Panasonic 25mm, and later on when I can afford it the 12mm F2 lens.

Should I just save up for the OM-D, and try to avoid buying the E-PM2? Do you think there will be something replacing the OM-D soon, or do you think it will be like the Panasonic GH series where it's every 18 months or 2 years? I'm just curious on what you think about it, since PEN replacements seem to come out so often.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    IF you have to save up for the OM-D, I'm guessing you won't be able to afford the Leica 25mm Summilux and m.Zuiko 12mm/2 you want. I would just get the E-PM2 and save your money towards glass.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Generally speaking, higher models are replaced more slowly. Don't know if that will hold for the EM5 or not.

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Same situ for me, being an OM-4T owner from college days. I decided e-pm2 was enough with the OM-D sensor. $400 cheaper (assume the $1049 oM-d kit and selling the lens).

Now I could afford m43 to 43 adapter, P14/2.5, and 45-175 X lens with a 45/1.8 but $300 away. I'm very happy with my E-PM2. It all makes sense when you slap the 14 on it and go. I will always lust after OM-D but now only because it has an EVF and just nails the looks/nostalgia factor for me.

With big lenses the pens make less sense, but they do look damn sweeet.

5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I'm in grad school so decided to pass on the OMD even though I preordered as soon as it was available on Amazon.. I recently purchased the E-PM2 & really enjoying the images + fast autofocus!

6. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can wait for the 12mm lens. It's not a must. The one I really would want is the 25mm. Can anyone post videos recorded with the EPM2?

7. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Yes, I'm very tempted by the E-PM2 deal as well. What to do....what to do ?

8. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The thing that makes it so tempting for me is the price. The same as the RX100, and with a bigger sensor. I know the RX100 is a point and shoot camera, but it's the same price. :O

9. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I had the RX100 and it is a very nice camera, but wasn't what I was looking for. There are strengths to both cameras, but at the moment I'm really giving some thought to an E-PM2 with the new 17mm 1.8 coming next month.

Of course, the whole interchangeable lens thing can be a slippery slow when it comes to GAS. :eek:

10. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    AH! I'm so undecided. I got a good deal on a RX100, and I feel bad for letting it go. Decisions, decisions!

11. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Bought one just now on B&H. With the sale it is $150 less for the body over the EPL5 which I would prefer. However, I have an EPM1 that I really like but haven't used much since I got my G3. The call of that EM5 sensor was too strong!

12. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    good for you:thumbup:

i heard with touch screen control, all the settings on pm2 ain't too bad! I just bought 2nd hand om-d but Now I have buyers remorse. Should have gone with pm2 or pl5 for form factor...

13. stonebat

stonebat Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    I ordered the e-pm2 kit deal.

After 10% cashback and selling all but the body, the net cost would be around $300. Great price to own a new body with the same OMD sensor :)

Plus VF3 around $90.

14. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    How did you get 10% cash back?

I'm still debating whether I should buy this or save for the OM-D. At first I would only afford it with the 12-50 lens, but should be able to afford the Panny 25mm in late January.