1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tempted by the GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Razer, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Is it worth having a GF1 if you've already got a G1 body.

Reason being even though the G1 small, it's still not totally comfy jacket pocket size.

I really want something i can take with me when doing nothing more than walking the dog.

Also having a HD video on demand when needed would come in handy to.

As i already have the 20mm this will permantly stay on the GF1, and the zooms used on the G1 body.

So what do you reckon guys.

2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hard to say. My Gf1 and 20mm complement a 5D, and I really enjoy the camera. I particularly appreciate the fast, accurate AF and the easy to use controls.

if you can justify it and don't need to borrow to purchase, then what's to lose...?

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Razer,

I've heard two views on this... one being that the GF1 has such similar controls to the G1 that it's easy to use as a 2nd cam, another being that there isn't enough difference (just form factor) to justify buying an (in some ways inferior) copy of the G1.

Can you get a chance to try the GF1 for yourself?

Cheers

Brian

4. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    In Wigan no, all camera shops that use to be here closed down Jessops being the last to go.

To actually go try one, i would have to nip to Bolton, Preston or Manchester.

Might actually make a day of it, and go round Manchester Friday check it out then.

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
  6. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Yeah about 3/4 hours drive at most from me, but never visited that store.

I hear it's good with people that actually know a thing or two about camera's unlike alot of Jessop staff.

owww they do the GH1 body only hmmmmmm.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hey Razer,

I agree with Brian, pop across to Mathers - I have purchased a lens and EVF for my GF1 from them, they have knowledgable and friendly staff and usually have a stock of GF1's with or without lenses at probably the cheapest prices in the UK.

Definately worth the 45min drive to handle one.................bet you buy it though!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i think the user experience of the ep1\gf1 form factor does justify having both,

although both are technically mirrorless,for the g1 the position and good quality of the evf translates into a user experience that is essentially slr- like ,i think , whereas the rangefinder svelteness of the gf1 will make it more likely to be a grab and go machine and with a small prime less intimidating to subjects as well.

and of course they are backups for each other as was said above.

9. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Your proberly right Ian i may well do & give it a try out round Bolton, as i've never done any Street Photography.

Be intresting to see people reactions towards it, and to see if you get that Big Camera pointing my way look :biggrin:

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Razer,

One of the first things I noticed when using the GF1+20mm for street work is that compared to the 5D+24-105mm I used to use is that now someone may give me a quick glance but they soon lose interest.

The 5D used to draw attention and make people look or even move away, the GF1+20mm is so small that in most cases people appear to be uninterested in my actions or just think I am photographing something else.

It is a great combination for street work.

Good luck with your decision and I suspect once you have tried the GF1 you will be hard pushed to give it back!!

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Precisely my experience - except that my photos aren't as nice as his... :smile:

12. scon4061

scon4061 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010
    Wigan
    I agree with the comments about Mathers. They're very helpful. I called in to get a 20mm but ended up with an immaculate ex-demo GF1 + 20mm for £469.00 They couldn't sell it as new because they lost the box! What a bargain.

13. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    That is a bargain, yes i think i nip to them Friday looking forward now trying one out.

14. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    Interesting thread. My problem is the opposite.

I am in the position of kicking a Nikon D200/300 outfit into touch and getting a G1 to compliment my GF1.

At the moment I am only keeping the Nikon as a wide angle camera. yes I know about the 7-14mm but it's too OTT for me. The 10-20mm Sigma would be good but I don't think it's 100% compatable with the GF1 ( G1?) Then there is the forthcoming 9-18mm from Olympus but impatience kicks in. At the moment I feel all at sea. Mind you yesterday the man in Mathers also got a bit mixed up with Macro/ Micro and Macro as in close focussing. Yesterday I bought the 14-45mm, really just for the 14mm end. O..K. it's slow but F3.5 with IS and 400 ISO certainly will equal my beloved 28mm F2.8 Elmarit with FP4 rated at 200 ASA.:)

At the present time I am trying to decide between the G1 or a Nikon D90, a decision which would be easier if the latter had the lovely G1 swivelling LCD.

And re the 14-45mm. I have always looked down my nose at " kit" lenses, however this little package is a cracker, and that IS thing certainly does make up for the F3.5 thing. I think the present combo will hold the GF1 outfit 'til the 10mm f1.4 prime comes out.:rofl:

I would also endorse the positive comments re Mathers, very good to deal with, just like the old day's.

Brian.

15. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I got rid of my D700 outfit, just to big and heavy to lug about.

I still Have an E3 with several fourthirds lenses which will go on my EP2 if I wish.

My EP2 with Panny 20/1.7 will however fit in my fleece pocket and is more likely to be carried around with me

16. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    Hi Brian I went ahead and did that got shut of all my Camera's Olympus E-420, E-30 at first & bought a G1 and kept my D300, but eventually ie couple of weeks ago my D300 went aswell.

I not regretted it one bit, well maybe slightly the 12-60mm on the E-30 as that lens was superb.

Main advantage of the G1 is that viewfinder it's big almost same size as the Canon 1D's & having the histogram viewable at all times, plus in dark condition it up the gain so you can see, really handy that sometimes, plus if you manual focus it zooms in to help you get it spot on.

Disavantages are indoors when using it under certain lighting condition it can flicker i've noticed this when using it in the kitchen under tube lighting.

Another again is using it indoors as it becomes noisey & jerky.

But like everything you soon get use to it & is not really a problem.

Im actually to the point now were i couldn't go back to an OVF, and i wasn't so long i was thinking hmmm EVF crap, before actually trying one.

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I like many others on this forum have gone the route of getting rid of big heavy bags full of DSLR kit and trading in for small effective micro 4/3rds.

I recently purchased a great small robust camera bag from a shop selling camping/mountaneering kit - the shop was called Kathmandu and the bag has a front pocket for mobile, passport, pens etc and a zip up padded section that can easily hold my 14-45 / 45-200 / Metz 36AF4 / spare battery and GF1+20mm in full ever ready case all in an inconspicuous blag bag that is about 12" x 9".

If I just want an "always with me job" the GF1+20mm in ever ready case fits nicely into my side coat pocket - small, efficient and easily accessible with great results - I love it!

18. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    Nearely three years ago I bought the D200, never took it out.........too big. Then and if you can fathom out the logic I bought a D300 hoping it would waken my photographic interest. Did it? Did it hell. The D300 has less than three hundred clicks- all of my dog, the kitchen and my Mini. Never been further than the end of my drive- and I don't live in Blenheim Palace.:)

But the GF1 is certainly pushing the right buttons. I would get rid of my DSLR stuff if only there was a decent wide angle for it, the 7-18mm is OTT for me and so slow. Maybe Olympus will come up with something. So until then the Nikon gear isn't going for walkies, it's just some sort of safety blanket.

O.K. I can at a pinch put my 12-24mm Nikon zoom on the front but it's huge, it defeats the whole object and guessing the aperture isn't very sophisticated.

Brian.

19. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Brian

used prices for the D300 are really good

I don't intend to sell mine, but I did notice on Ebay that D300 used prices are good, especially "low mileage" models

The 12 24 is always sought after

Cheers

20. BrianT

BrianT Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2010
    Leeds
    Bill the trouble is as I said I am of an age where giving up on the Nikon is a very big step.

In 50 odd years of photography I was loyal to Leica for 40 years. ( still am if truth be told and Rolleis) Failing eyesight and specs forced a move to F3 HP Nikons for 6/7 more, then digital introduced me into auto focus and all that goes with it. Since then my interest has gone down and down, I loath the modern gear. Now and again I still get a Leica or a Rollei off the shelf and start getting wicked thoughts.

But then the GF1 came along and it is so close to being ideal that the few shortfalls assume monumental proportions. If only they would produce a wide angle and a 45/50mm prime dedicated to the cameras capability,they already have the superb 20mm, they can chuck the video stuff that would be great. Clip-on optical viewfinders and the camera left to do the twiddly bits, great.

You will note from my list most of my lenses are small primes so another alternative might be to chuck the Nikon bodies and buy a D90. The D90 is a superb camera and not that much bigger than the G1, certainly a lot smaller and lighter then the D200/D300. In fact writing this has made me think that the D90 might be the way to go, at least I have the lenses and they all work with the camera without any faffing about with adapters. In fact the G1 makes no sense at all...............Blast!!!!!!!!!I do love that swivelling LCD :confused:

Decision , decisions. Still it's better than worrying about global warming.

Brian.