Tempted by Sony SLT

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Biro, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I was in Best Buy over the weekend and finally had the chance to handle a Sony SLT A57 in person. I must say I was impressed. First, the EVF - which isn't even the upmarket OLED version found in the A77 and A65 - is the size of a full-frame film camera viewfinder. That alone blew me away. Quality is just fine. I loved the way all of your information can be projected onto the EVF screen, including the artificial horizon. Or not, if you don't want it. And then were was the focus peaking. The size of the camera is about the same as a Pentax K-5 but is noticeably lighter and all the controls were highly intuitive. Autofocus (phase detection) was extremely fast, but I don't know if it's any better than my K-5. Burst modes range from 3 to 10 fps. I must admit that I was tempted to pick one up.

I thought to myself, "This wouldn't be a real kit. I have my Pentax gear plus my micro four-thirds gear. This would only be a fun experiment. Perhaps I could stay with one zoom or one prime for a while and maybe add one or - at most - two lenses as time goes by. That would be it. This looks like a lot of fun."

But then I came to my senses and realized I have no business buying into yet another system. And I'm sure the G5, GH3 or E-P4/5 will have much that I want. Still... that EVF looked like so much fun. Perhaps if the same EVF is in the new and even-smaller A37 (which is about the same size as a Panasonic GH2), I could get into that for even less money and stay with, say, a single 35mm prime. Just for fun, you know. :wink:

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Be careful. I played with an a77 for 10 minutes and it cost me $4K.......

Gordon

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yikes! I don't think it'll get that bad. An A65 with a single lens would be a worst-case scenario... at least up front. :smile:

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I had an A55, and thought the AF was more accurate than my K5. The SLT's are nice cameras. And it's great that they AF fast even when using the rear LCD.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I say if you don't mind loosing half a stop of light from your lenses and you enjoy the larger lenses and extra weight compared to a µ4/3 camera with evf then go for it.
    But i would just get a body and buy and old Minolta lens for it.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I haven't made up my mind yet. But I understand your point. If it was just the EVF I'd get a GH2/3. It's the size of the EVF here along with focus peaking for MF (great for my middle-aged eyes). I don't have to hurry. The prices will only come down with time. Or I could wait for the A37 to hit the shelves. It has pretty much all that I am impressed with in the SLT system in a package about the size of a GH2.