Tempted by Sony a6300

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by griswoldo, Feb 3, 2016.

1. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Sony just announced Sony a6300 today and it looks really tempting: 24MP aps-c sensor, 11fps, 4k video, super fast phase detect AF, weather sealed body, all for a little under $1000. The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is the lackluster APS-C E mount lens lineup. Sony announced 3 lenses today too, but they're all FF E mount and crazy expensive. I know FF has been Sony's focus lately, but why not release a couple good 2.8 zooms for APS-C? They'd probably be smaller and cheaper. Oh well, guess I'll just wait a while to see what Olympus cooks up for the EM-1 II.
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I read that it is not weather sealed, but "weather resistant" whatever that means.
  3. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    No weather sealing. Here's the exact wording:

"The camera adds a digital level gauge as well as upgraded dust and moisture resistance10, a reinforced lens mount..."

"10. This camera is designed for optimal dust and moisture resistance, but is not waterproof or splashproof. For FE lens only"
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
  6. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    no IBIS no touchscr. - its a 6000 with better af - so thanks but no thanks :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    To me it just looks like a token gesture to those who haven't bought into their FF A series cameras yet, apart from the yet untested AF, there's nothing new that any other camera maker offers currently.
    And what's with the lenses, I moved to mirrorles to have a smaller lighter kit, it's all well and good having a nice small and light body but then only having to bolt on a 2lb lens on the front, I don't get it....
  8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Three things that really kill this camera for me:
    1. No touchscreen. I mean, are you effing serious? It's 2016 and damn near every camera has a touch screen in it (certainly every camera the a6300 is competing against). Why does Sony REFUSE to put a touch screen on their cameras? Hell, even the new 1DXmk.II has a touch screen on it!
    2. No weather sealing. What good is "moisture resistance" if it can't take some rain or a splash? The cameras this is competing against (GH4, E-M1, E-M5 II, NX1, XT1) are all weather sealed. If I'm going to be spending $1k on a camera body, it had better be weather sealed so that I can use it if I get caught in a rain storm.
    3. The lenses. As great as the camera may be, the APS-C E-Mount system is still handicapped by their lack of lenses. I mean, they do have some nice lenses in the system (16-70 f/4, if you can get a good copy, 70-200 f/4, 24mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8, 10-18 f/4). But at the end of the day, the system still doesn't have anywhere near the selection of a m43 or Fuji X lens catalog.
    If the camera had weather sealing and a touch screen (and the AF is as good as they say it is), I may honestly have looked at picking up a body or two along with a 16-70 f/4, 70-200 f/4, 10-18 f/4, and 24mm f/1.8. But since the camera is missing those features, it's really a deal breaker for me having owned two GH4s where I use the touch screen quite often, and I'm never concerned about getting caught in a down pour.

I will say though, the AF for still looks amazing, the 4K video (downsampled from 6K) is astonishing, and the AF in 4K absolutely blows the GH4 out of the water, and likely beats the NX1 as well. Sony is so close with this camera...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    maybe it will work good with adapter and Canon lens like a7r mk2, but its too small body for FF lens, no touch focus, evf is on far left - no, its no good :)
  10. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Another deal breaker is the lack of apparent update to support UHS-II. Having 11 FPS is great and all but not when the buffer lasts 21 RAW files, so not even 2 seconds of shooting. Also it'll probably take a long time to clear the buffer, when I had the a6000 the buffer clear time slowed down the camera for burst shooting.

No touch screen, no AF joystick, no dual card slots, no weather sealing, no dedicated APS-C lenses. How they announce a new flagship APS-C camera but no mention of new glass. It seems like more a good will gesture to Sony APS-C cameras. Seems like much more improvements for the video side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

In an attempt to clarify exactly what dust and moisture resistance means, I have written to Sony asking for details. I did find the following in the product specifications:

Dust and moisture resistance

Enjoy carefree shooting in tough environments, thanks to comprehensive dust and moisture resistance19 measures that help prevent water and dust from entering the body. These measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.

19 This camera is designed for optimal dust and moisture resistance, but is not waterproof or splashproof. For FE lenses only.

I don't understand the reference to FE lenses in the footnote. I've asked Sony to clarify that, too.

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It's because weather sealing requires a gasketed lens to prevent water from entering the mount, and no APS-C e-mount lenses have that.
  13. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I see. I wonder if that's something you might improve with an O-ring?

14. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    The A6300 is definitely a camera that will take a piece of the consumer camera market's $$$ pie.

The image quality in good and bad light will be handled much better than the m43. M43 users cannot dispute the amazing performance of the Sony Exmor cmos sensor.

The A6300 is a target market for casual to demanding avid hobbyists photographer. The Alpha series is targeted for the photographers that demand powerful tools geared to maximize IQ.

Even if a person dips into the sony crop E sensor world there's alot to offer for the hobbyist photographer. The autofocus system is far superior to any Olympus contrast CAF system and questionably on par or surpasses the E-M1's hybrid AF. All I know is the Sony A6000 was a beast for focus in all kinds of situations. You cannot say the same for contrast detect on moving subjects in the Olympus M43.

At the end of the day a photographer will be able to navigate through menus soon as they get accustomed to the manufacturers interface. The clunky olympus menu's are often considered lame yet there is alot of loyalty to the olympus m43 bodies. Sony is um...yuck......but like any tool it can be mastered.

At the end of the day it's a choice a photographer makes in deciding what tools (dslr, mirrorless m43 or Sony mirrorless, fuji etc etc) IQ wise the Sony is an extremely powerful for the $$$.

Soccer mom/dad's and many other hobbyist prefer the small package over a full size dslr. In the canon world the 70d would be a common choise for prosumer/consumer grade dslr. Only real negative I have on the A6300 is the max shutter speed of 1/4000. Noise control on the A6300 will be competition to all crop mirrorless cameras!!

However if your a current M43 user its so much easier to go out and buy an E-M1 mk2 (in the works?) or buy a panny GX8, GH5 (in the works). Only draw back is the IQ will not be as good as the A6300 in low light and IQ in general. There is pros/cons to every camera system and nothingi is ever perfect.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    The lack of true weather sealing is definitely another dealbreaker for me. And while I think I could get over the lack of a touchscreen, I'm remembering all the times I use the touchscreen on my EM1 instead of the shutter to get the exact focus point I want very quickly and that makes me realize how important a touchscreen is for the way I shoot.

I agree though that it seems a bit insane to release 3 lenses on the same day you release a camera when none of those lenses are designed for said camera. And said camera's native lens system is so deficient (imo). I mean, the f/4 zooms are nice, but depth-of-field considerations aside, an f/4 lens lets in the same amount of light no matter what sensor is in the camera, right? I guess the sensor could make up for the lack of light with better dynamic range, ISO sensitivity, etc. etc. but I still think more light is better, especially when dealing with moving subjects.

At the end of the day, I guess I just really want to like the Sony APS-C mirrorless line because of the amazing autofocus. While I wait to see how m43 can improve in that regard, I have no problems shooting with the awesome m43 lens lineup though :D
  16. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I just had a look at the lens line up, because everyone says so, but I haven't checked in a while. It seems to me that unless the only thing you want to shoot is wide to normal stuff you are just completely out of luck. There is no zoom faster than f4. In fact nothing with more range than 75mm equivalent is fast than f2.8. What's the point in an APS-C sensor, when you won't get DOF or Lowlight benefits because your lenses are too slow. If you are into zooms, just getting the Panasonic (small) or Olympus (more reach) zooms will bring you back to equal ground and the 16-70 f4 comes in at around 800€ in Germany. At least you get a bit more reach, but I'd rather have the 2.8 aperture. The A6300 seems completely pointless. If you just want better image quality than your phone, I'd buy the RX100.
  17. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    The corners on that 16-70mm/f4 are also softer than a baby's bottom, and don't even sharpen up adequately at f8, so not that useful for landscape or as a walkaround lens.

Carl-Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS ( Sony SEL1670Z ) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

If I'm making those kinds of compromises, I would probably pick the 18-105, which isn't really any sharper, but at least has a broader range and a 40% cheaper price tag to make up for it. Realistically though, a 12-35 or 12-40/2.8 will give you better image quality across the frame despite the smaller, lower resolution sensor, and cost the same. Probably the new 20MP sensor will show off the difference even more.

Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS on Sony A6000 vs Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS on Sony A6000 vs Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO on Olympus OM-D E-M5 | DxOMark
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    I think we overstate the lens selection issue. How many do you really need? I have many lenses, 4 that can cover 150mm in fact. Do I need them all? No. I could easily pair my selection down to a couple of core zooms and a specialty lens or two for macro or low light, etc... I might even be happier :)
  19. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    You don't need a lot of lenses, you just need 1 decent one in each of the categories that matter to you. That's hard to find with E-mount.
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Go for it. A lot of people leave for other systems, some never look back, some are back here in a few months. If you buy it, let know what you think. :)