Tempted by cheap Oly lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Mar 3, 2014.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I currently have a GX1 with the pan. 14mm lens. I'm living in the Middle East, and ran out of time to buy a second lens. I guess I have two questions:

1) Should I get a standard, mid-range lens like the kit 14-42mm Pan

2) Or should I get a 40-150mm telephoto lens?

2b) If I buy this inexpensive Olympus 40-150mm lens for my GX1, is it going to look terrible because of the lack of image stabilization?

Thanks all. We are taking our first trip to Paris in July, and there are some shots I can't get with the 14mm lens. For example, a building was destroyed by a propane explosion recently, and the shots I took of it with my daughter's 2mp Lumix that i gave her (with a built-in zoom) looked better than with the 14mm after I cropped it. We were shooting from across a busy highway. So now I "need" a zoom lens.
  2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    45-150 is...what? $50 more? Less if you find it on sale. If you want the tele lens, you want the Panasonic. Stabilization is more important the longer the lens.

If you want a shorter zoom, the 14-45mm or the new 14-42 II would be your best options. The 14-42PZ pancake lens is compact, but can have less sharpness than the other two depending on shutter speed.
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    We got by with out stabilisation for years, I am not bothered by it in cameras or lenses with a fast enough shutter speed it will look sharp. That being said if you can swing the extra its a useful add on in the lens, I prefer the Panasonic zooms as the turn the right way for someone coming from Nikon. I would though consider a mid range zoom i.e. a 14-42 first though even the first generation 14-42's were decent quality better than most of the 18-55 kit lenses on DSLR's I have seen.
  4. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Or just get yourself a second hand 14-140, gives you everything in the one package, yes its heavy but its easy to hold even with GX1, not one handed of course but its IQ is excellent overall and it gives you a very large range. If $$$ is not a concern get the new 14-140 which is half the weight and a little faster at the wide end.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stabilisation is quite useful for slow telephotos like the O40-150 and P45-150, for relatively static subjects. As a frame of reference, using my O40-150 and E-M5 on an extremely overcast rainy day like today, I could get reliably sharp pictures at 150mm f/5.6 using ISO 400, 1/200s hand-held. Turning IS off, I had to use something like ISO 1000, 1/400s. For pictures of moving subjects at that range, however, I would need something like 1/800s (high ISO be damned), at which point IS becomes mostly a moot point. How does your GX1 do at said ISOs?
  6. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I would go for the panasonic 45-150 if you want telephoto on a budget, it'll pair better with your 14mm than a 14-42. Another option would be the sigma 60mm if you don't need to zoom as much. It's cheaper and likely give sharper results.
  7. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I feel my Oly 45 mm is at the limit of what I'd feel comfortable with on a non-stabilized lens. My camera is the G3.
  8. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    If it's in your budget, you may also consider the Oly 12-50 kit lens, which will get you a more useable range of focal lengths. When traveling I often find lenses over 45mm to be too long and often find that I only want to carry one lens. If I didn't already own the 14-42, I would buy a 12-50. I don't know about where you're at, but the 12-50 can be had used for less than $250 here in the states.

I think that you will find the 40-150 cumbersome and the (lack of) IS inadequate for this type of situation.
  9. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thanks to everyone for the excellent, informed advice.

I think I read that the pancake 14-42mm was a little blurry with the early GX1 bodies, but that the problem was fixed with either a later lens or body. Something to do with the heavy shutter of the early GX1, I think. It sounds like a single 14-42mm lens is the way to go for now, and I'll stay away from the non-stabilized Oly.
  10. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    It is expensive, but I'm very impressed with the (new) 14-140mm. If your budget will stretch that far, I would certainly recommend it.

Just read your post, the version 2 of the Pany 14-42mm is way better than the first. That's the one to get if you can.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd get a Panasonic lens with OIS. The 45-200 is a bit heavy but pretty cheap these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    If you opt for a short range 'normal' zoom I would get the new pana 12-32. I previously owned or used extensively just about every 14-xx zoom plus the 12-50 and sold all of them .
    I now have the 12-35 2.8 and the 12-32 and am seriously thinking of selling the 12-35 2.8.
    The only thing it really has going for it is the dof control, but image quality between both 12-3x is very similar. Not something I would say about any of the 14-4x (including the 14-45 which I also owned)

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Alex66 "nailed it". I'm another one who got by just fine without image stabilization for decades. We learned how to "brace" ourselves, lean against a wall, tree, door frame, or whatever. Grab right biceps with left hand and lay lens barrel (or bottom of camera) on left biceps while holding camera grip in right hand...Gently press shutter release.

Kneeling rifleman's position helped a lot also.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    You tempt me to buy a vintage, fast Oly telephoto lens.
  15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I'd get the Oly 45mm 1.8. What is too wide subject for it, can be cropped a bit from the 14mm field of view. As a bonus you get a fast portrait lens.
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would never buy a 14-42 and 40-150 lens if I had the choice of getting a 14-140. Even the old one.

You'd be splitting hairs over the difference in image quality, but the difference in utility is massive. And even the old 14-140 is less bulky than the two other lenses, though a little bit heavier in weight. Much better built, and incorporates OIS, though.

The only short kit zoom I would buy at this point is the Panasonic 12-32mm pancake because of its size, optical quality, and because it has 12mm on the wide end, which otherwise costs $500+ to get in the M4/3 world, either from a prime or a zoom.
    • Like Like x 1