1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tempted by a compact

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by drd1135, Nov 23, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Every time I'm tempted by a high end compact like the XZ-1 or the X-10 I realize that I could get, for example, a e-PM1 which would give better IQ for the same or less money. I can never get past that. It's not the fixed lens but the bigger sensor in a not so much bigger body that stops me. What am I missing about these high end compacts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Missing pocketability, primarily. And for street shooting, a mu43 is more discreet than a DSLR But a compact is even more so. That is primarily what I am using my GRD for, but then it is also not a typical compact pluses I got it new with warranty for £129, so it WAS a good bit cheaper and I can easily carry it anywhere and palm it to shoot from the hip. When I feel ok to carry a bit more and shoot in a less stealthy manner, then I grab a Pen

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

You're being tempted by one of these?

• Like Like x 5
  4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    No. thats the articulated screen model ! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That's a really bright optical viewfinder!

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was a very happy LX3 user once upon a time and still think its a great little camera. While the larger m43 sensor has better IQ and interchangeable lenses are great there is something very tempting about a little all in one camera that can take great macros, deliver very good IQ and can disappear into your shirt pocket.

The question I often ask myself is whether or not the things that are better about my m43 cameras really make that much of a difference and are the things that a compact can do something I really need/want. The jury is still out.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    And it comes with that awesome round microfiber cleaning pad. How cool is that?

8. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    And i often choose to take my compact (XZ1) out and leave 4/3 at home.
    I enjoy using compacts.
    I would love a GRD :smile: Only because the XZ1 is on wide most of the time anyway.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    If I was in the market for a compact I think it would be a GRD IV

10. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    More than the sensor size, I think what's really distinguished the compact cameras from the larger formats (including m43) has been the difference in responsiveness; AF lag, shutter lag, shot-to-shot lag, image review lag, etc.

I believe many folks (myself included) would be willing to sacrifice the benefits of a larger sensor if a truly pocketable camera with fast, usable zoom was nearly as responsive in operation as the larger formats. It wouldn't replace my m43 system, but it would be a nice camera to slip into the pants pocket for dinner or some social occasion.

What's interesting about the new breed of compacts such as the X10 is their promise of breaking down that final barrier. I plan to check out the X10 soon as a potential replacement for my S90.

11. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I sold a Canon G10 to buy into my M4/3 system. For all the GF-1 is a much better camera, I do miss the G10 sometimes. I've actually been hunting around on eBay recently to see if I can pick up a cheap one to add to the kit bag :smile:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Up until now, the main thing distinguishing small-sensor, high-end compacts is the fact that you can get significant zoom range in a very compact form. The new Lumix X 14-42mm collapsible lens brings that same form factor and functionality to Micro 4/3, making the small sensor compact less appealing to me. However, I still lust after that Fuji X10 :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    For me the main thing is the ability for a compact to do a macro in addition to a significant zoom range. That's what I miss using m43. If the new 14-42 X zoom can do that then I'm all in.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Had a Ricoh GX100 until a Roman cretin pilfered it in the hotel lobby. What I miss most about that camera, apart from its diminutivity (is that a word?) is the kiss of the leaf shutter....

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've had an X10 for about two weeks and I am loving it. The camera just begs to be used. We have a bunch of family and friends stuff between Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow and a long weekend. Only the X10 is being invited along for the ride.

The $600 price tag is steep, and hard to justify (when I think I could buy a Canon S95 & an E-PL1 + 14-42 for the same coin, for example), but so far it seems like money well spent to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been using Canon S90 for two years and realized that I didn't use much of a zoom, only slightly in some situations. Since getting E-PM1+14mm combo I haven't once touched S90. Images from E-PM1 look so much better (especially low light) with perfect WB, more accurate face detect and focus, better exposure, much sharper pics, etc. Shooting with S90 seems dull and boring now. Its images are much closer to iphone 4 look than to E-PM1 (at least at facebook viewing sizes). I'll keep it just because it still can be used on some occasions and because I feel that the compact of this size is unliekly to get much better in the future (I've been reading that S100 has worse IQ because Canon switched to its inferior in-house sensors vs. state-of-the art Sony CCD sensors used in S90/95). I never seriously considered XZ-1 or LX5 simply because they're too large for P&S and don't have built-in lens cap.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    You can get E-PM1+ Panny 20mm for the price of X10 (perhaps after you sell off the kit lens). It will blow away anything you can ever get from X10. Just like it's time for consumer DSLRs to go, it's also time for P&S cams to go. Last time I checked X10 is not even pocketable. Its appeal is based entirely on the looks (kind of like Leica).

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I always seem to have at least one compact and at the moment I have two. There's just something about a small silent versatile camera that brings you back to the basics. The GRD3 can do a lot of things, but in my quiver, its basically a dedicated street camera. Its ergonomics, silence, and "snap focus" mode makes it a pretty sublime street shooter. Nice look to the files too, up to about ISO 400. I also now have a Fuji X10 which is a phenomenal all in one camera that I can easily take as an ONLY travel camera when I'm traveling light. It really raises the bar pretty significantly for IQ in a small sensor and its EXR capabilities can do some amazing thing with dynamic range and low light if you can live with a 6mp file - I just did a couple of 12x18 prints from 6mp files and, uhhh, I can LIVE with that resolution! Its as good a street camera at the GRD3 in most respects (although you can't go back and forth between auto and zone focus quite as quickly or easily without a snap focus mode) and better in that you can still maintain a small enough aperture and high enough shutter speed in lower light because its so good in low light. And its a blast not to think about what gear to bring sometimes - just grab that one and go and know you'll be covered for about 95% of what you'd ordinarily do with a system or a specialty camera. I spent five days in New York City right after I got the X10 and I took a pretty good m43 setup and my X100 also, but I shot about 90% of the time with the X10. That's just a really nice option to have...

My m43 gear can still produce somewhat better images in some situations and it can clearly go longer and wider with the right lenses, but the gap is really narrowing in terms of image quality, as it is between m43 and APS and between APS and full frame. And silent isn't a bad thing, if not absolutely necessary very often - right now my epl3 is my only camera that I can't use silently. And while I can make it very compact with the 14mm lens, I can't make it all that compact with a decent range of focal lengths. Which is fine sometimes and for some purposes, but as an all around camera, options are nice...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, it actually doesn't BLOW AWAY anything you can ever get from the X10. Its marginally better in some situations and notably better in others, but its not vastly better at anything I've tried yet. And the X10 is a WHOLE lot more versatile if you don't want to carry other lenses.

I'm not claiming the X10 IQ is as good as m43, but its surprisingly close, particularly if you don't want to make really big prints. I almost never print larger than 12x18 (rarely that large) and the 6mp files the X10 makes when using the EXR capabilities of the sensor look great at 12x18. And, btw, the X10 AF and shutter lag at the same focal length is better than any m43 with the 20mm, although AF is not quite as good at a recent Oly or Pany with the 14 or 12mm. But its VERY close!

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    You couldn't be more wrong about most everything you posted here, and to top it off it is a bit insulting. Nicely done. Glad you are here...