Temperature inside backpack in the sun.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Sniksekk, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    No idea if this is in the right forums or not, feel free to move it.

I`m leaving for Italy this summer, and that makes me wonder.
    My (photo)backpack is black. It will get hot in the sun (I have a tendency walking with it all day when on trips unless I`m a the beach).

Do you guys use any measures to ensure your photo-equipment won't get to hot in the summer?
    What happens if the equipment gets to hot?

I`ve got a Think Thanks Glass Taxi backpack.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At the time, sensor noise shoots up, the camera should go into thermal shutdown before electronics fry though. You're unlikely to get to truly dangerous temperatures in a backpack, I'd be more worried about leaving it in a car in the sun. Then you might start to see adhesives release, displays start to go funny, batteries deteriorate. Electronics will fry but you're likely to fry first :p A black bag isn't necessarily a problem because any side in shade will also dissipate heat faster. If you're worried just leave some ventilation, or carry your gear externally.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I never leave my backpack in a car.
    I had a 2 week vacation in Thailand earlier this year. I had no thoughts about temperature and backpack then, when I was walking around.
    Now suddenly I realised I have no idea if it`s a good idea with the sun and the black backpack.
    But yeah, you have a good point.
    Curious to see if anyone else got any experience with this.
    So far my heartbeat is slower and I`m more relaxed thanks to your reply.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'll be riding across the deserts and high plains of Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska this month with all of my camera gear in a solar backpack. I'm not concerned about heat, for the cameras at least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I would not be concerned. Just keep in mind that it will act like a cooler when going from the AC of inside to outside. So, make sure you open it when going outside to equalize the temp or your gear will fog up. Here in Texas I open my bag and drive to the woods with my top off the Jeep so camera is acclimated when I get there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I don't know about your bag but mine reflects quite a bit of NIR despite it's visually black appearance. This will make it cooler than any bag made with material that absorbs NIR...

It's unlikely to be an issue for me in the UK, the sun seems to go behind a cloud as soon as I get out with a camera!

7. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Test carry with a thermometer in the pack. See if the temps are worth dealing with.