1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tell us your tale...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Zariell, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I was wondering what the stories are behind the people who have chosen to go with the m43 lifestyle, and I do consider it to be a lifestyle choice, everyone has a story and its always fascinating to hear what that is. I realize this could be a very difficult question, so I figure I will tell my particular tale to get the ball rolling, or the camera shooting, :p 

For me the story goes back almost five years now, I was on my way to becoming what I considered great, I had been mentored by such greats as Monte Zucker, and Don Blair, my business was doing great, and I had set my sites on one day being a Canon's Explorer of Light, which is a lofty goal, but if you going to dream, dream like a champ.

At this point on May 14th 2008, I had what I call a life changing event, or LCE for short, while I won't bore you with the details, the end result of the LCE was my photography dreams, and ambitions were destroyed in the blink of an eye.

Life went to hell, I couldn't shoot like I used to, we had money troubles a plenty, while I still took pictures for personal projects I swore I would continue, I became pretty much a recluse who did most of my work on miniature toys and objects, (which would serve me well later on), I went from thousands of photographs a year, to taking less than 200, I wouldn't do portraiture at all, my collection of Canon gear collected dust, and most of it went to Ebay to pay bills I couldn't afford to pay otherwise.

Now that I sound terribly depressed, lets move on to last year, while surfing the web I came across an add for the Nikon 1, and they were touting how it was light and portable, and most important to me, had interchangeable lenses, so I was intrigued, I did some research and discovered that the camera while not for me, was a gateway which lead me to the Olympus E-P3. I decided to clear out all my remaining Camera gear to Ebay, and purchased the camera, it was a match made in heaven, no longer was I constrained to a large heavy bit of tech I couldn't even carry, I had a light, lean, photographic machine which my largest lens on it, was the size of a juice can.

Then of course I upgraded to the E-M5, gave my wive the E-P3, and just gave my son his own Olympus camera, I have gone all in and I have no regrets! This year I have taken once again thousands of photographs, relearned PS, and I'm happy as a monkey in a banana field :p 

So thats my tale, I could quote William and say its a by an idiot but I won't, please share with me your tales, I imagine they are all quite interesting :p 

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.