1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tell us about your Panasonic GF2!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jbuch84, Feb 14, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Panasonic GF2 / First Shot

Hey guys, I just bought my first camera that wasn't point and shoot. Went with the GF2 and so far couldn't be happier :) Below is my first shot with it, was in a rush as i just got off work and the sun was setting. Please critique!

http://fotoretro.com/images/firstshot_small.jpg

I loaded it into lightroom and brought back some vibrance, contrast and thats pretty much it... oh and noise reduction too.

• Like Like x 3
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice shot! Great colours :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
  4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Nicely done!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thanks guys!

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

jbuch84, I love that color!!!! Please post these rather than linking them so we can all appreciate them more easily. We're sort of lazy I think and like instant gratification.:wink:

I was really surprised to find that we didn't have a GF2 image thread, so I just started one: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/gf2-image-thread-9549/#post83276 and hope you'll be one of the first to add to it jbuch84.:2thumbs:

Here is some helpful information about how to embed images within threads: https://www.mu-43.com/f77/how-post-images-forum-threads-316/ and then there is also the handy gallery option explained here in this thread https://www.mu-43.com/f77/mu-43-gallery-faq-747/

I am very impressed by the colors in your pictures and the overall feel, so I'm especially looking forward to more.

P.S. Oh yes, please stop by and say an "official" hello in the Welcomes and Introductions forum, too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    Hi newbie here from Essex

Well, also got my GF2 couple of days ago and I just cannot put it down! My main camera is an EOS 50d with w/a and t/p lenses. However, ......I am thrilled with the Geoff (as I nicknamed it)

Willpost some initial pics later

So, hi from me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

petach, glad to have you here! Please do us the honor and stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum so that the rest of the members will be more likely to meet you.

Looking forward to your photos!:biggrin:

9. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    jbuch84 -
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new toy/obsession!

You did a great job capturing and exposing great colors with a wonderfully short depth of field. Nicely done.

Since you asked, I'll offer only 2 bits of advice -

1 - through creative framing or cropping, you might want to observe the rule of thirds (or even the less popular rule of fifths). By doing that and then composing in a way that the reed has a more angular tilt, you'll give what's already an excellent image a sense of motion or "drawing the eye" in a specific direction.

2 - This is just a different approach on composition. By isolating that reed, you've done a great job of invoking thought through a picture. Had you brought the camera lower and angled upwards (which, thanks to articulated screens is WAY easier than it used to be), you would have given the reed a perception of largeness or grandness.

Again, the pictures you've taken are great and very well exposed. My 2 comments above are merely creative opinions and we all know what opinions are like... ;-)

Best wishes and keep the pics coming.
    J.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Sorry I've been absent the past few days, works can get overwhelming at times.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really new to photography so all of your advice is appreciated. BBW, I just saw your new gf2 thread and posted a little something in there ;-) I'll make sure to stop in the and say hello to everyone as well.

Cucco, you make a good point. I didn't really think much about the cropping, great idea. And I agree with a lower point of view, i wanted to lie down and shoot up but the field was muddy and standing in it was all i could bring myself to do.. next time I'll be prepared!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    petach, I'm glad to hear you like your gf2 as much as i do.. I can't stop finding reasons to snap quick pictures!

12. BBW

I've just merged jbuch's thread into this new one. I hope you all don't mind, but I think it is really helpful to have a handy generic thread title for all our GF2 shooters to pool their thoughts about their GF2 cameras. We've always had a main thread and it helps others who are new, just bought a GF2 or are currently lurking and reading. This doesn't mean that people can't start new threads about specific realizations or questions, but it can be overwhelming to search successfully through the forums. So anyhow, keep the conversation going and don't forget to post your photographs, either in the handy GF2 Image thread, Native Lens Archive forum and/or in our Photography forums, as well. And don't forget to let people know that you used your GF2!:thumbup:

Now back to the good news.:biggrin: