1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tell me your opinion on my new neck and wrist straps *thread moved*

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by anttipantti, May 1, 2013.

1. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    I was in the market for good looking, easily removable and manageable straps for street and other photography for my OM-D and RF cameras. All the straps I found seemed to have something that I didn't like. So I decided to make my own neck and wrist straps. I'm also working on a sling strap right now.

My goal was to make the straps comfy, simple, good looking and easily changeable so that I can switch over to a hand strap from neck a strap in just a few seconds without having to mess with the split rings! (I made a split ring version too tho).

I'd like to know what you guys think. I enjoyed planning and making these and I think I'd enjoy making more of these. So I'm asking you guys: would you buy one and how much would you be willing to spend on one without having a major burst of GAS-guilt :biggrin:. The straps would be available in different colors ofc.

Here are some pics of the prototypes I made. The neck straps are missing the rubber protectors for lug wear and the wrist strap is missing the tightening ring.
    Sorry foor the poor quality pics. They were taken at night on our beaten up table under the kitchen lamp.

mcw5s4.
    A flat version of the starp with the infamous split rings! Thanks to the half case with it's own lugs I can use the split rings without raging!

14skrh2.
    The thick part of the wrist strap works as a grip between my palm and the side of the camera. This is something that I find extremely useful as I don't use additional grip on my om-d.

vmwsc1.
    The neck straps could be made either in 90cm and 115cm lengths (for around the neck and crossbody wearers) or in custom length. The wrist strap would be made in 3 different loop size.

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    It looks good and I love the quick release. The only thing I don't like is the brown. Sorry not a fan of brown, but that's me.

3. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Actually the starp is closer to khaki but I agree that the images make it look brownish (I'm not a fan of brown either :wink:)

Going to try other colors when I receive the materials.

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I like them better than both the DSPTCH paracord wrist strap and the Lance neck or wrist straps. Of the two patterns of neck straps I think I prefer the one on the E-M5 though I still like the one on the Minolta. I'm not crazy about the lanyard clips, however, and would prefer split rings or the screw lock clip you used. As far as pricing goes, I'd be willing to pay something comparable to the going rate for Lance or Gordy neck straps - $30-35 or so depending on what options are offered as far as connection points go or customization, and $15-20 for the wrist strap. The $32 DSPTCH charges for their wrist strap seems overpriced to me and as such I would never purchase one. Overall I like what you've done, nice work!

5. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Thank you for you comments.

Actually I've been unable to find the exact same screw lock clip / screw link that I used on the wrist strap. I took this one from our parrot's toy :biggrin:. I agree that the screw lock thing is the best solution I've tried. Now I just have to find a product just like it.

If someone knows where to find those I'd be really grateful.

ean10775, your pricing seems fair to me. Actually they are pretty much the same I was thinking + maybe a discount on a quick release kit consisting of a neck strap and a wrist strap.

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'd google 'screw lock carabiner' and see what turns up that you like.

Alternatively, since you don't need it to directly go through the slot lug or lug mount of the camera, something like this might be a cool option for quick connection/disconnection and stay in line with the military look of the paracord: http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Stainless-Steel.asp

7. waltpalmer

waltpalmer New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2012
    I like them too. I think the lanyard-style quick release is a great (and cost effective) option. I've never had any problems with them in 10 years of wedding use. I agree with the $30-35 and $15-20 price range also.

Great job. BTW, I love the brown color ("the color of love"). It adds to the retro image that your straps elicit.

8. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks you for the feedback guys. Actually I've spent a few days work on googling and searching for the perfect connectors for the straps. I tried the S shaped carabiners and I didn't find them as good as the simple lanyard clips. I will just have to keep looking for those small screw links locally and on the internet :smile:

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The only reason I don't think I like the lanynard clips is that they make an otherwise very nice looking strap appear a bit cheap in my opinion. I don't doubt they work well though.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Good job! What you have learned is the same thing I have pointed out around here several times: Straps are easy to make and, when you make your own, you get exactly what you want.

That camera connection is always an issue though. I have yet to see a fitting that I really like. I use rifle sling quick-connect swivels on my straps so I can switch strap type easily, but they are much bigger and heavier than what is really needed.

Re your "sling" strap, be sure to make one that is not just a long neck strap. When you raise the camera to your eye, the camera connection should slide along the strap and the strap should not move. More than you ever wanted to know is here: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/insanely-long-detailed-review-3-sling-straps-2901/

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks uncomfortable.

12. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Yeye, the sling strap will be a real sling strap. :smile:

Thank you for your comment but they really aren't. And neither do they look uncomfy to me but that is probably because I have empirically tested the comfyness of the straps :biggrin:

They currently don't sell these.

13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe I should expand my comment...I've been at this almost 40 years now, and the first cameras I've used had flat and round spaghetti straps, and you get a groove digging into your neck. I've also had a metal version of your long one, and it was torture.

When I bought a new camera at the same time I bought an extra wide strap...back then the straps were velvet...what a difference that made, the weight was spread out, no more digging into the neck.

Today the wide straps are made of neoprene, and they are even more comfortable...for my heavy dSLRs I use straps that have little air pillows, like these:
    RootsStrap.

From experience I'd stay away from the type of straps shown in the first post.

14. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    To each his own :smile:

DSLR straps are a completely different matter. As I stated I use these for m4/3 and RF cameras :smile:

15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    ^I think it all depends on the weight of the camera/lens. I have no problem with a thin strap on my m43 camera, X100S or even my OM-1, but agree that on a DLSR with a large-ish lens, a wider strap that distributes the weight more evenly is more comfortable. For m43 cameras though I think a wide strap is overkill and often looks a bit mismatched as well.

16. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Yup. Same as with bags. Surely there are loads of large quality bags made for DSLRs but I wouldn't buy a bag that could fit 15 OM-Ds if I was going to use it with only one. :biggrin:

17. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

Have a look for Maillon Rapide http://www.peguet.fr/gb/produits/normal.html

I'm about to get some of the 2.5mm stainless ones for a similar job.

18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm sure they are very nice, but they're not my cup-0-tea.

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice looking straps - how are they at not sliding off the shoulder, do they grip the material underneath to prevent slippage?