Tell me what is good or bad!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrDoug, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Just experimenting with the EPL3 and the PL 25 1.4 lens.. what is good and what is bad with this pic..? I would like to know.. :smile: all opinions very welcome..
    P3110506 by MrDoug1, on Flickr
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's nothing good about it. Now do you really want me to go on with what's bad...? :daz:
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    you should tell us what you saw here that made you snap the shot. The composition is muddled with the lamppost blocking the sign. What would you like the viewer to see? How could you better draw the eye to your subject? Is there a way to de-emphasize the parts that are not important?
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The Republican Caucus is bad. (joking)
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good: Colors are nice, details are crisp, composition seems balanced

Bad: What Luke said.
  6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes Sir Ned.. give me your opinion. I want to know.. that is how I learn.. yes the light post is blocking the Republican sign.. but that is OK.. in this instance.. LOL..
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I saw the sign on the post with the old building in the background with the Caucus sign the background.. but I should have moved around to get a shot not blocking the sign.. sheesh.. I saw it as well.. I will go back and re-do that shot.. thx
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    The 2 signs are bad, (too busy) everything else I like.
  9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Tought your intent was to make the sign read 'Republicaucus' with the lamp post acting as a phallic symbol. But then again I could be reading way too much into it. =)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I see how this can happen easily. I don't have enough time to spend photographing and then when I get to actually spend some time walking around shooting, I tend to go.....oh look....something cool....oh look there's a cool sign. snap again.

I often find that my best photos are taken after the initial bust of 15minutes or so. Slow down and REALLy think about composition and rule of thirds. Think about how you can best convey what you are seeing to your viewer. Don't just see the cool old tine sign and brick wall and go snap.....move around the scene...try portrait and landscape you want the whole scene in focus or will it be better with a shallow DOF? Try turning on the "thirds grid" to aid in will usually push you in the right direction....even if you ignore it. Go for a crazy angle......see it with new eyes.

I don't blame you Mr Doug....I have plenty of duds and have to hit the delete button all too often. We talk about cameras way more than actually using them.....that is the number 1 problem. Go back and shot the scene from 10 different angles....get creative. I'll bet you can get a real corker if you scope out the scene.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    If you want to show the signs, then zoom in close to them and fill the frame. If you want to show the building, move out wide. It's a beautiful building.
  12. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    There is entirely too much juxtaposition of the earth tones of the brick and the very blue sky. The blue draws my eye and keeps me there so much that I care little if any of whatever significance the building, lamp post, and quaint homemade sign may invariably have.
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Not that I'm any sort of photographic newbie more like it, but here's my 2 cents anyways.

- Either way you look at it, the building structure is a key element here, work with it, use it. I can't help but think more use could've been made of the intricate brick arch by finding an angle to keep it it stands, it is split.

- I'm not keen of the clipping of the window edges either.

Perhaps if you had moved a little left you could have caught the building arch completely and more of the building fa├žade....and still get the sign in the frame. Hard to say, but good on you for putting it out there and asking people to let rip.
  14. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Three shots come to my mind here. All three in black and white, with some "grain."

1) Shoot up against the wall with the "Glenns Ferry" sign in focus, and down the street out of focus.

2) Shoot the double window, perhaps vertical 16X9, with some of the sky in about the top third of the frame.

3) Go across the street, get a bit of telephoto zoom going to just get the doorway and sign in the shot. Wait for someone(s) to enter or leave that seem to be congruous or dis-congruous with the sign to pass underneath, and snap the shot.
  15. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Pros: great colour, very sharp, balanced composition.

Cons: Nothing too compelling. Looks like a tourist's photo.
  16. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    What were you trying to accomplish by taking this picture? Serious question.
  17. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
    I think it would have been cool if you could have focused on the Glenns Ferry sign, using a wide aperture, and have everything else out of focus. But then you probably would have had to use an nd filter to prevent over exposure. But what do I know, I'm extremely new at this.
  18. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's too much going on in the shot. You need to hone in on the subject so that it doesn't get lost. For me the subject should be the top of the lamppost and the Glenns Ferry sign. Keep the portrait orientation, the sign, the lamppost, the top of the arch, and a hint of blue sky. The rest can be cropped out.
  19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for the input and suggestions.. I will go back and re-shoot and post when I can... when the Sun is out..:smile:
  20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho