1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tell me more about E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Braza, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Hello all!

I'm looking for "mini OM-D" and leaning towards the Olympus E-PM2. Is it the best choise or not?

Who has one? You like it? :)

Thanks to all in advance!

And sorry for my english, I'm Russian. :drinks:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    E-PM2 and E-PL5 are equivalent to the E-M5 in terms of image quality, but have worse image stabilization, and worse handling (although that's certainly subjective - I want lots of direct controls). Whether or not it works for you is pretty personal - lots of folks swear by the handling on the E-PL and E-PM series, I've only tried them in-store and been less than thrilled (GX panasonic = better handling)

3. joanlvh

joanlvh New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2011
    I like the pictures that mine takes. the only thing I miss is focus peaking that is found on my Nex cameras. I refer to using Manual Focus.

4. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you all!

Just bought today E-PM2 in white and Zuiko 17 1.8! Really like this setup!

5. Brucebrad

Brucebrad Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    A and P mode operation

Can someone talk more about the handling? The reviews I've read talk about the difficulty in customising the interface, but don't tell me much about how it works once you have sorted out the customisation.

With my current E-P1, I typically switch between A and P modes. In A mode I want to be able to make quick aperture adjustments. I would also like to be able dial in some exposure compensation - or have a button programmed to exposure lock. Is it possible to setup the PM2 like this?

(I'm also thinking of the PL5, but in Australia it is $200 more than the PM2, which makes it less attractive).

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Turn the dial to adjust aperture, press up on the dial then turn it again to adjust exposure comp. No, it's not difficult and it works fine. :3

7. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I adjusted the Fn button to White Balance setting, the Rec button to AEL and Right button on navi pad to change the ISO seting. And with the Super Control Panel it is easy to handle E-PM2, I think. I have had OM-D and E-P3 and I now what I'm talking about. :) Not super fast operating, but alright.

8. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    I just recently bought an E-PM2 to supplement my EM-5

I think it is probably a better deal for me than the E-PL5 since I do not need the tilt LCD screen and the mode dial on top is also of little use.

So far I really like it...!

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I don't have the E-PM2 but I do have the E-PL5 and the E-PM1. Put the E-PL5 innards in the E-PM1 body and I'd be happy. The E-Pm2 has enough buttons on the back to adjust the major controls for exposure, focus point, and WB, from my POV. As for the top dial, I find the one on the E-PL5 is more trouble than it's worth as I keep changing it by accident. The only PL5 feature I really like is the titling screen because I like to shoot from waist level as I find it a more stable way to use the LCD.

10. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I have the pm2 and have been very happy. It is not easy to accidentally change settings except to accidentally take pictures with the touch and shoot activated. The SCP is a great tool, I shoot primarily on A and M mode and it is easy to change settings.

I also already had a vf2 from my pm1 and it is a really nice viewfinder. In bright light, it is difficult to see the LCD. The only thing that I would like to have from the pl5 is the tilt screen. That can help you somewhat in the sun but not as much as a viewfinder. I see that there is some confirmation in this thread that the pl5 is easier to accidentally change settings, but the tilt screen would make it worthwhile in many cases.

Picture quality is really good!

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another E-PM2 owner here. I have no complaints. I just used mine with the Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 this past weekend for indoor photos of a birthday party without flash. Worked like a charm. The E-PM2 is a keeper - even if you add something like the OM-D to your kit later.

12. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

I got one on December and i use it as a pocketable camera with pana 20 pancake welded :)

13. Brucebrad

Brucebrad Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Colour?

OK, the big question. Which colour looks best with the Panasonic pancakes? :biggrin:

14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Probably black

15. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    But the Silver with black Aki-Ashahi looks very good.

16. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    it doesn't work very well with Panasonic lenses as I can see much CA when taken with 14mm f2.5

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    CA is easily fixed in LR4. I use my 14/2.5 on both my EPM2 and EM5, often wide open and in high contrast shots. No problem to fix.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

18. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Here is mine!

8692546786_bbbd01c92c_c.

19. vad710

vad710 New to Mu-43

May 3, 2013
    I am thinking about getting an EPM2 - I currently use a EPL1 and I like it - but sometimes it has a very hard time focusing (sometimes it gives up) - especially in low light. Does anyone have this issue with the EPM2?

Besides that, I think that I would be looking at a pretty big upgrade to the EPM2.

20. vad710

vad710 New to Mu-43

May 3, 2013