Tell me I'm mad.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK you can see from my sig I own an E-P2 and a G1 and four very nice Pana lens. Not listed is a MMF-2 adapter, an 8mm FE (Samyang) and a 40-150 for 4/3. I'm also looking at a ZD 70-300mm for the reach I miss.

I find myself going to the G1 before the P2 mainly becuase it fits better in my big mitts - (6'4" and 100kg). I also like the built in EVF, flash and rotating screen. The P2 is my video option but I've not really taken to the VF-2 - too easy to dislodge.

Should I sell both bodies and buy a G2 body (or kit) instead? :confused::confused:

I'm interested in your comments so fire away.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I think you should sell everything you don't need and wait for the GH2 :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I've just obtained a second G1 body (1 month old, barely used and a very good price) and intend to carry both bodies equiped with significantly different lenses when the occasion demands it, but then I'm not interested in video.
The dpreview of the G2 suggests it's of value for video work but a G1 represents excellent value at the moment if you're not interested in video.
If you get a G2 for the primary purpose of it's video capabilities I'd be very tempted to hold on to the G1 if you don't require the money the sale of that would provide to help finance the G2, then if you need to cover a photo assignment with widely differing lenses the 2 bodies fitted with different lenses might save you some lens changing time and help avoid lost photo opportunities, after all the G1 owes you no money.
My thoughts for what they might be worth.

Barrie

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Bill,

I had used a G2 for a few days and found the IQ on stills to be no better than the G1. The touch screen was actually useful to me and done in a manner that incorporates nicely with the traditional controls. I decided to stay with the E-P2 until the GH2 rolls out. Like you I use the EVF on the P2 when necessary but would rather have it built in.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
That's my issue with the P2. Using the EVF changes the form of the camera.
I don't like the SLR form but if I have to use it, I'd rather it be built in. Don't get it wrong. The EVF is great. I just don't like what the camera turns into.
I sold my G1 to get the P2 and now realize it was a mistake.
Waiting to look at the GH2.....

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
BB,
Yes, I do. The Pen 1 offers no option for the EVF and I don't miss it. The Pen 2 offers it but changes the way I work.
For me, the screen gives me my image and offers the view outside the frame so I can see what's building in the scene.
The EVF, even with both eyes open, does not.
So, the issue comes down to the finder and thus the form.
If I have to use the finder, the G cameras are better designed. With the G1, I can use both eyes open plus that great, incredible tilting screen.

So, form factor wise... Yes, a mistake but I still love it, never getting rid of either Pen....

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I think for me the issue that I have with the EP1 is the weight. With just a small lens on it, there really isn't enough foward weight to balance the camera, and with my big paws, becomes cumbersome to hold. With a larger lens, I actually find the EP1 balanced even with the smaller grip. I find myself holding it more by the lens, which is just fine.

If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the EP2. But I got the EP1 around the announcement time of the EP2. IMHO, its a real shame Oly did it that way.

Kapekodder

Mu-43 Regular
That's my issue with the P2. Using the EVF changes the form of the camera.
I don't like the SLR form but if I have to use it, I'd rather it be built in. Don't get it wrong. The EVF is great. I just don't like what the camera turns into.
I sold my G1 to get the P2 and now realize it was a mistake.
Waiting to look at the GH2.....

I am waiting for these "mistakes" (E-P2) to hit the classifieds so that you can achieve your next dream! :smile:

I've enjoyed our E-PL1 enough because of it's form (even with the VF-2) as it does encourage a more "streetshooter" use for me. While I love my DSLRs, size does matter and certainly discourages a more casual ready to go use. I think that my next logical move is the P2, mainly because I want the familiarity of dials, instead of the simplicity of the E-PL1.

Having said all this, there is a part of me that says "give time time" and keep enjoying, learning and practicing with my Olys. So I guess I have to assess myself as being glad for the options I have now versus questioning my sanity or emotional state for the imaginable obsolescence that we adopt as we buy our cameras. In closing, heck with "time", place those ads, I want a P2:rofl:

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Kape,
Don't hold your breath. My Pens are my Leica M's.
What the Pen 2 offers that no other camera offers is the ability to change form with a very useable finder.
I am looking at the GF1 but will wait to see what the future hold in the Oly and Panny camps.

Back to Bills issue.
The GH1 could be a real contender in that form.
The touch screen stuff I don't fully understand yet.
Have to read more but the images John and others have posted are beautiful.

I fully understand Bills issue.

Kapekodder

Mu-43 Regular
Streetshooter,

I understand:smile: My reluctance to have joined the recent crowd of new P2 buyers (especially the lucky Amazonians who got the $799 deal) related to the fact that I really do enjoy my LARGE E-3, even with the size/weight compromise. As I had already purchased the PL1, I couldn't justify that next purchase(of another Pen).

The VF-2 was the real reason I bought into the PL1! It did complete a logical "upgrade" sizewise from my E-410, offering IBIS and outstanding video in a lightweight and small form. Thus far, I've enjoyed using it, but I have my concerns with it's control layout and limitations. I would not sell it in order to move to the P2.

I'm glad to read of your experience, as well as other members for these threads have helped me join the m4/3 crowd with no regret.

chuckgoolsbee

Mu-43 Regular
I've just obtained a second G1 body (1 month old, barely used and a very good price) and intend to carry both bodies equiped with significantly different lenses when the occasion demands it, but then I'm not interested in video.

Indeed. That is how I work as well.

I have an assignment early next year that has some video demands and would love to find a GF1 or similar Oly body to throw in the bag.

But I'll keep the pair of G1 bodies for that instant flexibility.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Too bad we can't each chose our customizations the way one can when ordering a MINI Cooper, of course each customization costs some extra cash.

I love my E-PL1 but it would be great if it had a larger, crystal clear LCD and a built in top notch viewfinder (like the EVF), however I am happy very happy I have it and the EVF from my E-P2.:wink:

photo owl

Mu-43 Rookie
my view it is to use what you have now - get what you need when it comes out......

if you really believe the G2 is the latter then just do it

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting, seems I'm not entirely alone. Hadn't considered the GH1/2 route. In a nutshell what does the GH1 have over the G1 (apart from video)? And what extra are we expecting in the GH2?

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I doubt they would bring out a GH2 unless they had a major sensor and in-camera software (PP capable) upgrade to go with it.

Panasonic gives me the creeps sometimes when they start announcing FF sensors for cameras. Maybe Amin already knows something....

Bokeh D

aslondon

New to Mu-43
I totally agree about the pen being VERY Leica-like (that's very awkward). There is just a feel in the hand and the intangible perception that they are jewel like and substantial. I haven't used my e-p2 a great deal yet, but it is certainly reminiscent of those "M" days.

Al

Latest threads

Top Bottom