Tell me about the Panasonic 14-140

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mnr3, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    ok, so it looks like the aggressive pricing on the GH2 is back at a few places-795 with the kit 14-42 & 1195 for the 14-140, and as I'm very tempted by this body--but have NO native lenses, I'm weighing the benefits of going all out with the 14-140 or saving the $400 and putting it towards other glass. On the one hand, that's a pretty good discount for the super zoom, but then again, I know I'll be wanting at least a prime or two down the road and just not sure if the limitations of the 14-140 (bulk and f/stop), as well as the price, are worth it. Is it that good for an all purpose (sharpness, focus speed, etc) or is the premium mainly for the admittedly impressive range, silent focus, etc.? I do expect to do a little video, though nothing too serious. I have of course done a search and read a few threads and seen some fans, just wondering what the current thoughts and climate are. thanks
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I bought the 14-140mm in a kit with the GH2 and I hardly ever use it: too large, too heavy and not good enough for stills above 50mm or so. I took it with me on various occasions and was never really happy with the results, the only reason I've kept it is to sell it together with the GH2 when the GH2 is due for replacement. A lot of people really like this lens for video, can't comment on that because I don't do video.

If stills is your main activity, I'd go for the 14-42mm kit and spend the money left on other lenses. Depending on your subject matter you may want to consider legacy glass as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It turns out that this is my most used m4/3 lens so far, although that title is under threat from the 9-18mm and now the 20mm. Very versatile; I rarely find myself at the far end of the zoom range but it's good to have it there if you need it. It performs quite nicely at the wide end which is where I use it most. The focus is very fast and silent. I think the second-hand value of the lens makes the price premium worthwhile if you eventually decide you don't want to keep it.

However, I would probably sell mine if there was a fast zoom available to replace it, assuming the price wasn't too steep.
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Here's my collection of blog posts about the 14-140 - What Blog is this?: 14-140

In short, I didn't like it at first and considered selling it, but I've had a change of heart. It's proven useful. And it's nice to have the reach not only for zooming but for creative field compression effects too. As a video lens, you really need light indoors, but outdoors it's ok. AF is only ok - it will pump if the subject moves.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I use the 14-140 on my G2; too heavy to balance well on the G3 IMHO. But it should be a very good match for the GH2. I don't use it often, but it comes in very handy when covering an activity where both wide and tele are needed to record what's going on with no time to swap lenses.
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I use the 14-140mm quite often with my GH2. It's not really a standout lens but it's very versatile. When I'm in a situation where I know things are going to be changing a lot, it's my lens of choice. I've used it for video, portraits, wide shots, even macros. Used properly, the results can be quite pleasing. Of course, it's never really going to have that super-shallow DOF look. I'm glad I have it, though.