Tell me about 24" monitors....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Djarum, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    So, I've decided its time to upgrade from my calibrated viewsonic VA 1600x1050 panel to a 1920x1200 or 1080 panel. After doing some research, my head hurts.

It appears that many IPS displays, such as the highly regarded dell u2412m is really 6bit + some magic dithering. Other displays are true 8 bit and then there are those that are 10 bit. It doesn't appear that there are many options left for true 8 bit, so that leaves me with 10 bit displays that have wider than sRGB, and sRGB is all I need since I don't do Adobe color space. Reports are that these displays distort colros from sRBG content. I also have to ask is if anyone, using say the 6 bit IPS displays, have any issues with the dithering they do to reproduce full 8 bit color?

So I'm left scratching my head. Any ideas?
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I can't answer your question directly as I am Mac based. However, on the photography section on MacRumors, the 24" Dell UltraSharp seems to be perennially recommended. I didn't realize that it wasn't a true 8 bit but that does not seem to change the reviews. If you move up to a 27" or 30" monitor you will have more options, although I also like the 24" size.
  3. m0nsieur2

m0nsieur2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    I picked up an ASUS PA246Q 24" online, for about the same as the current sale price of the Dell U2412m. If I were a pro photographer, I wouldn't be using Walgreens, etc to print my photos and I wouldn't be using my ASUS IPS monitor to edit images. As a hobbyist, I'm extremely pleased with the improved color of this monitor over either of my 1680x1050 non-IPS Ultrasharp Laptop displays. The exposure and color of my images are very near what I get when printing photos edited with the ASUS. With my old Ultrasharp monitors, it was a guessing game.

I believe both my ASUS and the new U2412m are actually 6-bit monitors, and do 1920x1200 but the old U2410m was 8bit. Some prefer the older 8bit model, some don't care and are happy with the leap in quality from going to an IPS monitor. If this is your first IPS, I don't think you can go wrong with the Dell or ASUS. You'll love the extra pixels and more accurate colors.