Telephoto Zoom comparison

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am posting 2 images, both are out of the camera .jpg files, both taken with a tele zoom lens. Both were taken with the camera on a flat rest (no tripod) and while I couldn't get the exact same zoom, both at approximately 700 mm.

D:
D.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M:
M.JPG

I'd like people to tell me which one has higher image quality (except for color tones).

I'll reveal which is what after we get some feedback (i.e it is a blind test). 1st pic is D; 2nd is M

Thx

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was being kind and I was looking at the Center branch with the flowers you sir are correct right side is soft

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Top image is sharper. Also has a nicer separation between in-focus and out of focus areas, EG: central cluster of flowers and the one at 7 o'clock. Whereas the lower image just blurrs everything.

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Not too keen on these blind tests as they are often an attempt to prove a cheap lens is better than a more expensive lens.

The first image has the edge on sharpness over the second,the second fails to achieve sharpness completely,looking at the oof background the first is best but this could be due to the focus point actualy being further back on the second image.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Ah! But there's more to a lens than resolution. How many times have I put the young lions in their place by reminding them "my lens is bokier than yours, eh?" or "micro-contrast", that new particle that was spotted taking a photo of the Higgs-Boson as it sped by on its way to uncertainty. Or "Frog Coating", where the designers smear frog slime on the front element to get that last bit of bokey resolution. Yup, lots to consider I reckon.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@ralf-11, there is quite a good test target available here: 1951 USAF resolution test chart - Wikipedia Something like this would be much more useful if you want to be comparing lenses, testing for shutter shock, etc.

113px-USAF-1951.svg.png

A "Flat rest" is probably not enough for camera stability though. I suggest a really solid tripod like a Gitzo 3-series and some kind of remote release. I have a cabled release that I bought for a few bucks on eBay, but usually I just use the Panny Android app. It is glacially slow for actual photography but that doesn't matter for testing.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
First looks sharper and nice out of focus rendering.

Guess we are comparing two different lenses on two diffrent cameras/sensor sizes as the framing and picture size is diffrent.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The second image just looks like missed focus to me.

It is - I just checked the focus point with an add-in for LR. I will reshoot and post again. (I wish LR had a way to check the focus point w/out all the rigamarole).

BTW, I used a rest as that also tests the IS in the different lenses, etc. and is the way I will mostly use this lens.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
ok, here is M2, the second attempt with that lens. I checked the focus point and it is good.

Let me know if there is something I can do to make comparison with the D image easier, and thanks much for your help!
M2.JPG

Latest threads

Top Bottom