1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Telephoto Zoom comparison

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ralf-11, Apr 14, 2019.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If their own website does not list that lens as compatible, I trust it over dealers and first line support.

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, it really doesn't need a PhD in anything but the school of hard knocks. All you have to know is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Adding a TC is guaranteed by the TANSTAAFL rule to degrade the image.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    the cost of the lunch is the loss of light - 2 stops

I am unaware of an optical principle dictating an IQ loss for a tele-extender.

But moot point - as the gear is on its way back now.

To bad there was no collusion between the lens and tele-extender

4. I suppose it physically fits but the IQ is not up to snuff for them to promote it. Well, there goes any feelings of GAS I had for it.

5. Glass manufacturing and design is not perfect, each element introduced has defects and aberrations. A TC not only introduces it's own aberrations, but being an enlarger, magnifies existing lens aberrations. The stronger the TC the larger this effect is.

This is a well known limitation for any and all TCs. It's why 2x TCs are rarely any good, especially on a zoom. They are only typically used on a very good fast prime to start with.

6. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    I'm glad I saved others from this - OTOH, it could possibly be just the particular examples I got.

BTW, Panny did not advertise the 2x as working with the 50-200 - that doesn't mean they aren't compatible.

7. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    each element introduced to make a 100-400 has defects and aberrations also...

8. A 100-400 does not have to operate in two modes, switching the extra elements in and out. The 50-200 is optimised for it's native performance, trading off performance with extra TC elements added. The 100-400 is also optimised for it's native performance, but the 'extra' elements are already in place and optimised for.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    Sorry but all zooms operate in many modes

10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It’s obvious that there is no interest in learning from the decades of optical engineering.
    I’m out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    My gas for the 50-200 was for use with the 1.4TC, but I'm still holding out hope for one of the two lenses on the Olympus roadmap.

As to compatibility, what's the minimum rating for Panasonic and Olympus lenses to actually AF correctly on either bodies? I know in the Nikon world it was f/5.6 and then f/8 for the central cross type points? This might have changed with the D850/D5/D500, but it was/is the case with the older 51 point AF systems. The 50-200 is f/4 so the TC makes is f/8, what's DFD capable of?

Just a thought.

12. They don't switch elements in and out. The TC is also stuck by always being the last optical group, in zooms the moving elements aren't limited to being the last group.

The key difference is that a zoom is optimised for its elements already. A lens is never optimised to perform best with an optional TC attached. The best that can be done is to optimise a TC for a given lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Here is a short article by Zeiss on why teleconverters degrade the IQ. Particularly note their suggestion to use them "with a fixed focal length lens except in a “do-or-die” situation."

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You would be better off by far using a Panasonic 100-300 in a comparison with the Nikon 80-400. It might not win (totally unfair cost comparison), but it would fight on the basis of being designed to do the job.

Sample P100-300 at 300mm
    P3233914.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    Thx, but the IQ con they mention is increasing residual aberrations, and the problem here is greater than that.

I do have 2 Zeiss lens for my Hasselblad system and like them quite a bit...

I will probably try the PL 100-400 at a later date. I'll have a 'hole' in the FL range from 60 to 100 but that won't kill me.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The Pan 35-100 f/2.8, or on the cheap the f/3.5-5.6 would fill that gap.

17. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 23, 2015
    I don't understand this discussion. It's really so hard to take photos of the same object from different distances with matching FOVs with both lenses without TC?
    Then it would be immediately clear if it's problem with TC or with the lens.
    (It's true that atmospheric turbulences can affect even this test but then Nikon would have disadvantage because of higher magnification)

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    @Machi@Machi I think he wanted to compare lenses at 700mm-e. Although how he did this with a 400mm Nikon with no TC is beyond me.

19. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 23, 2015
    @T N Args@T N Args I understand part about 700mm eq lenses.
    I don't understand part about TC and its effects on the image which is going now for 2 pages and without meaningful result.
    BTW, I think that would be much better theme for review.
    "IQ of 50-200 PanaLeica with 2×TC"

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hmm "do-or-die" seems a bit over the top :)  Hasnt there been a lot of people using the old 50-200 oly 4/3 lens with the 1.4 TC? and as I recollect with people be ok happy with the results? but maybe those were do or die situations :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.