1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Telephoto Prime 300mm. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by FRAN, Jun 26, 2013.

1. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
    I would like to complete my kit with a good quality telephoto prime.

I've the chance here in México to get a cheap Sigma 400mm f5.6 Minolta mount, green, beautiful. It could be my first legacy lens...

But, after searching in several forums, I'm leaning toward the CANON FD 300mm f4 L, as the best IQ, relative small size, and well balanced (and tested) in my OMD + grip.

What do you think?
    Must I consider another good option?
    It's easy manual focus with a 600/800mm equivalent?
    Budget under 400$.

Thanks guys!

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    There are alot of Sigma 400 5.6 variants. The Sigma APO Tele Macro is very sharp. Probably on par with the 300 f4 L. I think it runs about 400-500 bux. There are many good 300mm legacy lenses, and many are discussed here with sample images to back them up. But you really cant go wrong with Canon L glass. If you have one in sight, jump the gun and get it.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Just so you know, the FD 300mm f/4L's on Ebay are over-priced (all over $500), but KEH.com has an EX-rated one for $415. That's a reasonable price and just slightly over your $400 budget.

4. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The Canon is certainly better - but, that being said....

At that price for the Sigma, I'd suggest that you buy it and try it and if you don't find the quality to be acceptable, you almost certainly could sell it at pretty close to break-even - if not even make a few bucks - as they tend to sell for at least $150 used.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you get that sigma for Minolta/Sony AF mount, make sure you get a m43 adapter that allows you to stop the aperture down.

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Get the Canon, don't waste time, effort, and possibly money on the sigma. Its a average lens, I remember before I bought a f4l I was researching various options, the sigma was not high on anyones list. I think that is also the model that has problems with de-laminating lenses internally and sigma build quality in that era was spotty in general.

The canon is probably the best all round 300mm in terms of price: performance: size.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    This is the run of the mill Sigma 400. Its not bad, but the but the Macro Tele one is in the class of its own. But the problem with the Macro Tele one is that you rarely see the older manual version with aperture ring being sold anymore.

As others have said, the 300 L is tried and true, and you really can't go wrong with it. Another option is the Canon 400 4.5....its not exactly "L" and its not exactly "non-L", its somewhere in between :) It uses Low dispersion glass, not the ultra-low dispersion used in the L. You'll get a bit more CA and loose some contrast, but you get an extra 100mm at a cost of 1/3 stop of light.

Have you considered the 100-300 or 75-300 native lenses, or are they just too slow for your taste?

9. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Not really. Obviously if you are shooting at still objects, or things that are going directly towards or away from you, it's fairly easy, but if you are shooting in a confined space, or your subject is moving in a way requiring you to pan and focus, this can be difficult. Your luck may be better than mine, of course, but since you asked .... :cool:

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Its not too bad when you stop it down. Also remember that m43 sensors doubles the depth of field. I used a Nikon 300mm f4.5 at f8 for the surfing action shots in this thread -> https://www.mu-43.com/f40/surfin-nikkors-44057/

11. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Francisco
    I just ordered the CANON FD 300mm F4 L, 415$, plus 40$ with a 2X FD converter and an original case.....

I´m not a good photographer, but is a hobby that helps me to face my day problems, and the challenge with a legacy tele lens is going to be funny for sure!!

Thank you so much for your replies, I love this forum and the people on it... :smile: