Telephoto or long lens for EM1 2

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
This is a mix of Panasonic and Olympus but seeing I've an EM1 2 put it in the Olympus threads.

Calamity struck today.
The Panasonic 100 400mm fell off the camera today and hit the concrete camera end first. Hard!
Squished the thing out of round. Nothing turns, works but won't focus. Barrel won't zoom.

Curious to learn more about other lenses adapted to 4 thirds.

I do have the 40-150mm 2.8 and the MC-14.
Had thought about the MC-20.

Lense is insured but $500 excess.

I rang repairers who said to send photos and they'd have a look and suggest something.
Could have to go back to Japan.
This is Australia

I'm used to having upto 400 mm.
I do have the 75-300 but wanted more hence the 100-400mm

Suggestions welcome re alternative thanks

Not impressed how easily they come unhooked!
It lives on EM1 2 and never gets taken off

Input appreciated thanks

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
That's a shame. I enjoy your bird shots a lot. I won't suggest something like a Nikkor AI 400 F/3.5 ED, because that's not what you want ;) :) Oops

All the best and hope it's an easy cheap fix.

Danny.

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wait a little while for the new Oly 100-400. It should be out in the next few months. In the meantime, enjoy your 75-300 ... That's what I'm doing.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Wait a little while for the new Oly 100-400. It should be out in the next few months. In the meantime, enjoy your 75-300 ... That's what I'm doing.
I asked camera store about that and they said to date they've heard nothing but a rumour.
No idea on if or when it will arrive.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
That's a shame. I enjoy your bird shots a lot. I won't suggest something like a Nikkor AI 400 F/3.5 ED, because that's not what you want ;) :) Oops

All the best and hope it's an easy cheap fix.

Danny.
Danny thanks for your comment and appreciation.
I looked up that lense.
It is quite some lense. A seriously good one by all accounts.

The other option I'd considered was sell the EM1 2 and get a Nikon Z something, but that puts me into bigger, heavier that is, lenses.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Sorry to hear this.
Is there any indication why it fell off; lens mount broken or accidental pressing of the release button?
Hopefully it can be repaired at somewhat less than your excess amount.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
I have no idea why it fell off.
I took it out of the bag, then outside and next thing bang. It hit the deck.
I can only assume somehow the button got pushed and it turned itself around.
My thoughts are, I'm very wary of repairing a lens that has had such a hard crash.
What else has it weekened? Another issue for the future?
Knowing zilch about lens manufacture it's an unknown dilemma.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
The other option I'd considered was sell the EM1 2 and get a Nikon Z something, but that puts me into bigger, heavier that is, lenses.

Ya the problem with going to a full frame camera is if you are used to having 400mm on the m43 system then you would need 800mm lenses on the Nikon Z. Being not familiar with that system and knowing 800mm lenses are kind or rare to begin with, is there even that option with the Nikon?

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil Johnson
Why not go with the 300mm pro, with your 1.4 TC you'd be at 420, a bit faster and I'd think maybe a bit sharper that the Panny at 400. Plus you would have dual IS with your EM-1.2 which works very well. I have both lenses and think the Olympus focuses a little faster too.

I have also had lenses fall off my em-1 mk2, both the 300 and the 40-150 pro. All but once they were in my hands. The one time I was out with the 40-150 and went to take a pic and the lens came apart from the body. I put it back on and made sure that it had clicked in and would not come off and about 20 min. later it fell off on a gravel path. Luckily it landed on the hood and nothing broke, just a few small scratches. I wonder too if I'm hitting the lens release button as I'm walking

Neil

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is a mix of Panasonic and Olympus but seeing I've an EM1 2 put it in the Olympus threads.

Calamity struck today.
The Panasonic 100 400mm fell off the camera today and hit the concrete camera end first. Hard!
Squished the thing out of round. Nothing turns, works but won't focus. Barrel won't zoom.

Curious to learn more about other lenses adapted to 4 thirds.

I do have the 40-150mm 2.8 and the MC-14.
Had thought about the MC-20.

Lense is insured but $500 excess.

I rang repairers who said to send photos and they'd have a look and suggest something.
Could have to go back to Japan.
This is Australia

I do have the 75-300 but wanted more hence the 100-400mm

Suggestions welcome re alternative thanks

Not impressed how easily they come unhooked!
It lives on EM1 2 and never gets taken off

Input appreciated thanks
Avondale 87,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Like Danny, I enjoy your pictures. I don't know much about adapted lenses, but the 50-200 w/EC 20 might do in a pinch, and it's affordable. I really think it's hard to beat the 300 Pro if you don't mind spending the $$. Mine seems to be quite tough, and even Ronnie hasn't managed to destroy his, which says a lot.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I have also had lenses fall off my em-1 mk2, both the 300 and the 40-150 pro

Huh, that's odd. I have never had a lens fall off any of my Olympus cameras both with 4/3rds and m43rds systems over several models and mabe 12 years. But it is interesting you both had it happen and both of you use the E-M1.2. Could the mark2 have a flaw or weakness not present in other bodies?

Phocal

God
Huh, that's odd. I have never had a lens fall off any of my Olympus cameras both with 4/3rds and m43rds systems over several models and mabe 12 years. But it is interesting you both had it happen and both of you use the E-M1.2. Could the mark2 have a flaw or weakness not present in other bodies?

Honestly it is either they didn't turn the lens far enough for the lens to lock or the lock button on the camera was pressed allowing the lens to come lose. Doubt it has anything to do with a camera defect or this would be something you see a lot more of talked about on forums.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
This has happened to me more than once, directly after picking the camera up out of the car (300 Pro & 40-150 Pro). I can only assume that the weight of the combo serves to amplify the effect of inadvertent light pressure on the release button. I have tried to make it my practice to handle the combo by the lens only.

Well in the past, though, I had problems with the 40-150 and body parting ways in the middle of longer walks, but this problem was squelched by changing the side on which I carried the long lens from left to right. See here.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
This has happened to me more than once, directly after picking the camera up out of the car (300 Pro & 40-150 Pro). I can only assume that the weight of the combo serves to amplify the effect of inadvertent light pressure on the release button. I have tried to make it my practice to handle the combo by the lens only.

Well in the past, though, I had problems with the 40-150 and body parting ways in the middle of longer walks, but this problem was squelched by changing the side on which I carried the long lens from left to right. See here.
Hendrik thanks for this, and all others.
I've had the lens unlock before but in my hands.
Being used to very expensive surveying gear I'm accustomed to care and proper fitment etc.
That's not saying I dont muck things.
I still wonder if there's an inherent flaw, weakness.
I'm going to have a bit of a play and investigate more.

I was thinking about a flexible rubber strap between the tripod fittings on camera and lens. The EM1 2 is only for one big lense (whilst it hangs on :blush:) and as such a short, neat strap wouldn't worry me. I think!

Yes the 300 is tempting, but often 400 is way too much when a little beauty lands a couple of metres away.
Can't satisfy! ?

PS. Did people see that poor photographer back himself and his gear into the font! Oops! A link in the link above.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
As @Phocal said, I make sure the lens lock pin CLICKS into place, and I usually test it by turning it in the remove direction.
Those of you who used the pre AI Nikon know the min/max twist. That would uncover if the lens was not locked into place.
  • If the lens does not reliably lock, you NEED to research and solve that problem.
I would check a couple things
  • That there is no gunk in the lens lock depression.
    • You want the lens lock pin to go as deep into the lock depression as it can.
    • Clean the back of the lens and the lock depression.
    • If someone ate a granola bar, and a seed was on their finger, then got into lock depression, the lock pin may not get deep enough into the depression to hold the lens.
  • That the lens lock pin is not binding, and will reliably come out of the body.
    • If the pin does not come out reliably, it is not locking the lens.
When I pick up a camera, I carefully AVOID gripping the lens with my finger anywhere near the lens release button.
Having done FAST lens changes in the past, I know how easily and fast a Nikon lens removes, in one quick fluid motion. Which also means you can accidentally remove the lens, if you are not careful.

When I walk with a long lens, hanging down, I usually hold on to the lens barrel.
Again, hand and fingers AWAY from the lens release button.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
I've done some checking.
Not excusing user error, but it's poor design on the EM1 2.
The button sits out on its own waiting to be caressed and.....

The EM52 button is round and sits inside a small collar. I've pressed the button towards the collar and nothing.
You have to press to within the rim before the pin actually disengages.

I also think, but maybe wrong, the button on the EM52 is "snappier". The pins both work nicely in 5 and 1 but the button could have (should) more resistance IMO in manufacture. All three feel to have same spring loading.

Be interested to hear from version 3 users and the button design.

Anyone with an EM1 3? And EM5 3? How is the button on that? Sticking up like a sore thumb or neatly in its own housing.

I've owned EM5 1 and 2 for yonks and with 60mm, 75-300mm, 40-150 2. 8, 12-40 2.8, taking them off and on at will and never had an issue.

AC12 the lens is permanently fixed to the camera and I don't interchange.
The camera and lens were purpose bought as a combination. I hear what you're saying, and don't disagree.
The fittings are factory clean and the pin engages well.
As mentioned the depress button is like the proverbial button. Will someone press my button ?

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
I've done some checking.

The EM52 button is round and sits inside a small collar. I've pressed the button towards the collar and nothing.

I also think, but maybe wrong, the button on the EM52 is "snappier". The pins both work nicely in 5 and 1 but the button could have (should) more resistance IMO in manufacture. All three feel to have same spring loading.

Really a crap situation. Sorry to hear about this.

I've actually found that sometimes with the 5.2 I'll turn on the camera but the lens isn't latched all the way. This was due to the way I hold the body and hit the lens release button. Thankfully I haven't experienced this with the 1.2, yet. Although I do echo that I think the 1.2 buttons are much more squishy than the 5.2 buttons; I do miss the tactile response of the 5.2.

Is 300mm to 400mm really that big of a difference? It's too bad that I see that you don't want the 300/4 + tc1.4. I think that would be the logical step for you. Better reach and (expectedly) better iq at 300mm AND 400mm.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I've done some checking.

. . .

AC12 the lens is permanently fixed to the camera and I don't interchange.
The camera and lens were purpose bought as a combination. I hear what you're saying, and don't disagree.
The fittings are factory clean and the pin engages well.
As mentioned the depress button is like the proverbial button. Will someone press my button ?

I can see why you think the lens release button is badly designed.

But the Olympus design is no different than the lens release button on the Nikon F cameras and my D7200.
The surface of the lens release button is above the collar, and that is key to how the magic worked.
  • Position: Grab the lens with your right hand, thumb and index finger next to the camera, the top of the first segment of the index finger on the button.
  • Unlock: Push the index finger towards the camera (depressing the lens lock button), and turn the lens clockwise (as facing the front of the camera).
    • In that one fluid motion (about a second) the lens is unlocked and ready to pull off the camera. :)
    • I do the same with the Olympus, just turning the lens counter-clockwise, just not as fast.
But with the change to zooms vs. primes as the standard lens, the NEED for FAST lens changes decreased.
And with super zooms, it has practically disappeared. Except when I shoot sports, I keep the 18-140 lens on the Nikon all the time.

As an old Nikon shooter, I would not want a lens release button that was lower than the collar.
That would make lens removal a 2-hand process. :(

The Canon dSLR lens release button is also above the collar, and I do a one-hand lens removal on the school's Canons.

In your case, the only thing I can think of is to
  • Make a box cover to go over the lens release button, or
  • Make a shield on either side of the button, so your finger cannot accidentally depress the lens release button.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom