Telephoto lens support for Olympus 75-300

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lrlebron, Jul 27, 2016.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I have decided to purchase an Olympus 75-300mm lens for my camera. For those of you that are familiar with the lens I have a question. Since the lens does not have a tripod collar do I need some form of additional support? Something like this Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H ?

thanks,

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I doubt it. While I don't have experience with that lens, the old 4/3rds 70-300mm lens never came with a collar and I never heard of anyone having any issues related to not having a collar. That lens is about 40+% heavier, so I don't think you will have any issues with the m43 75-300 (either version).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    Thanks.

4. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I use it with E-M10. No issue at all. The lens might seem long in m43 standard, but it's not heavy.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I am planning to use it with an EM5Mk2 which is a tad bigger than the EM10.

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I use it with the E-M10 + ECG-1 grip which I think is about the size of an E-M5II. No issues with handheld or tripod use with the camera mount. In my opinion, the size/weight and reach of this lens (and the P100-300) makes it a perfect example of the advantages of m43.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I use it with the E-M10 + extra grip. It obviously depends on the shutter speed and IBIS. With the E-M10 I try to use at least 1/500 when possible (the camera will try to get this kind of speed automatically at 300mm, but will probably rise the ISO much higher then what you would use).

If you want to shoot near or below 1/60s you may consider some kind of support. Even a simple monopod/tripod may help here. Note that by default IBIS is disabled in burst mode (there is an option for this).

The E-M5 mk2 has the best IBIS around so you probably can get away in most situation using it handheld, just find the correct posture/balance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I agree. The IBIS in the EM5 mk2 is extraordinary but it is not an excuse for not using proper technique (posture, shutter) and additional support when needed.

9. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    No you don't need one. I use that lens on my EPM2 which is a very small camera and there isn't any issue with stress on the lens mount. At slow shutter speeds a tripod is a good idea though.

thanks,[/QUOTE]

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    At those focal lengths a tripod is still very helpful.
    I just use the tripod socket on the camera body (E-M10 for me). No problem, doesn't feel like its too heavy carrying the lens on the body by the mount.

I tend to use a monopod as a mobile tripod. Still can have some side to side motion BUT I think that is greatly reduced by having a firm support underneath.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The light weight everyone is talking about as a reason you don't need a tripod is actually the reason most people do. I have to concentrate more on technique when using it over my ZD 150mm f/2.0. For steady shots handheld, some weight is a good thing, otherwise small movements (like breathing) can cause movement in the camera. I'm not saying it's not possible, but you have to concentrate more on technique when shooting it. At high shutter speeds it is less of a concern, slower speeds is where extra weight really comes in handy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    If the support were needed, I think we can trust that the manufacturer would have included it.

13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Uh?

14. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    My experience is slightly different. Excellent lens, and yes, with enough light hand-held is not a problem, although I do prefer something to rest the lens on (beanbag, bike saddle, tree). The lens resting on a monopod (not attached) makes aiming and composing a lot easier.
    But with lower light and longer shutter times, or for very critical work, a very steady tripod is needed. And even then, with the camera on tripod and the lens dangling from the front, it does not get maximum stability. Something like that Manfrotto support (I don't have it, so I am not sure) might do better for the most critical work. Moonshots are a good way to really test your set up...

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    More explicitly: if the Olympus 75-300 lens "needed" a tripod collar for support, I trust that Olympus would have included a tripod collar with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Oh. Weight wise it really does not but the balance is awkward when you attach the camera to a tripod with it mounted. For tripod use it could really use a tripod foot for balance.

17. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Just noticed this thread. I did a pretty thorough (if I do say so myself) review of the Manfrotto 293 support here:

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support Review

This was written back when I had an Oly E-520 DSLR and the 70-300 lens that I used with the EC-14 converter. But there is a second section in the review (with a quick-link at the top) showing how to use it with a shorter lens (which I think the m43 lenses would be). I might be getting a Pany 100-300 or Oly 75-300 lens soon and it will be interesting to try the bracket. But note: the bracket is pretty heavy, so for a m43 setup, it might just be too much of a good thing. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    Rich, I actually have the Manfrotto 293 and have seen and implemented your modification (thanks!) to use it with the 4/3rds 70-300 mm+MMF-2 on my (ยต4/3 PEN) camera on a tripod (but that combination is obviously significantly larger and heavier than the 75-300mm lens).

• Like Like x 1
  19. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    This is in my opinion one of Oly's best lenses. Here are samples of Hand held at an air show.
    full?d=1433114454.

full?d=1433114454.

full?d=1433076337.

full?d=1432032974.

The last shot was a half mile away...

• Like Like x 4