1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Telephoto Lens recommendation?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timothysoong, Dec 31, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    In most countries they have the countdown before new year. Every year in Taiwan, we tend to have awesome fireworks on our Taipei 101 building which is awesome.

You can check last year's new year fireworks on Taipei 101 building:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmOGkfFL-Rc&feature=related]2011[/ame]

This is this year's fireworks on Taipei 101 building(sadly i missed all the good shots):
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNP-bYOrjw"]2012 Taipei 101 New Year Fireworks HD complete å￾°åŒ—101ç…™ç￾« Taiwan 2011 / 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Anyway, lets get back to topic, in most of these big events, I usually bring out all my photographic gears to these events. And always tend to have the same problem which is the focus point is too faraway. It happens in several live concerts too.

I normally carry my 14/2.5, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, flash, tripod, etc. I don't take my 14-45 with me as I'd think they the three lenses can do better than the 14-45 in still images.

Anyway, I'm considering in getting a telephoto lens, and as of now I'm looking into the Panasonic 45-200mm lens which to me is quite cheap for a telephoto lens. Anyways, I need recommendations, I will need to do video with it too if its music concerts/fireworks. And I don't really care about AF cause I can use MF with video/stills so basically an adapted lens will also do.

So tell me what do you recommend?

And also budget-wise, I'd like a bang for a buck lens.

Thank you,
    Tim

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wow that's awesome!

3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks but what lens do you recommend? :confused:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're okay with manual focus, then I would definitely use an adapted lens for telephoto! There are no native telephotos in the Micro Four-Thirds collection yet which would interest me to any extent.

The Zuiko 50-200mm SWD is my go-to telephoto lens for the PEN. For a more compact kit that I can carry everywhere though, I reach for the Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8, which I can also use as a 200mm f/4 using the Olympus EC-14 teleconverter which I also always carry with me. At 200mm that's not much slower than the excellent Zuiko 50-200mm, but a heck of a lot smaller! Those are two lenses that fit well with my kit anyways. There are so many similar alternatives it would be hard to nail one down without knowing more about your needs.

Budget, size constraints, and speed requirements would help to know.

5. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Budget: Max=260
    Size: I don't think it would matter, as long as it stays on the camera and doesn't break the camera due to its weight or if it comes with a strap, I'm fine with it.
    Speed Requirements: I'm not sure about this, but it'd be as fast as possible I suppose cause I'd be taking shots of moving objects most of the time.

6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    There's a ton of legacy 135mm f2.8 lens out there, mostly going for half or less of your $260 limit. I've got a Fujica X-mount f2.8 135mm that came with an AX-3 kit I bought 25 years ago, it works great on a GF1.
    A quick e-bay search for Canon FD/FL mount lenses turned up some good deals:
    canon 135 lens FD,FL 2.8 | eBay

7. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The Olympus 50-200mm SWD is very tempting, but too expensive imo. *sigh*

8. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I couldn't seem to find the Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 in any local store instead all I could locate was a f/3.5 version of the Zeiss Sonnar. :frown:

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

There is the option of the Vivitar Series 1 200mm F3.5 or 250mm F4 lens?
    I've heard some nice things about the Telyt-R 250mm f4, but its for a Leica mount and a bit over your budget at $300, but suppose to be easy to focus with and reasonably sharp.

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    There is a lot of 135/2.8 legacy glass around and the later MF premium brand lenses are quite good. I have had 3 Minolta 135/2.8 lenses and they were excellent by f/4. These can be had for less than EUR 50.

11. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I tried locating the Minolta 135/2.8 lens here in Taiwan. And I found a lot of cheap ones, but is there a difference between Minolta MC 135mm/2.8 and Minolta MD 135mm/2.8? Cause the MC ones seems to be slightly cheaper. Which is better?

And which adapter should I get if I were to use it on my GH2?

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    There surely is a difference, the MD ones are decidedly better: sharper and especially more contrast. A lot of MC lenses tend to give slightly dull and greyish pictures.

There are a lot of adapters around for Minolta MC/MD/SR lenses (all the same stuff as far as the adapter and use on MFT cameras is concerned). I use a bunch of these cheap ones.

13. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks, oh yeah I found a faster lens. The Canon FD 135mm F2.5 SC. Is it better than the Minolta 135mm MD F2.8? And the Olympus OM 135mm F2.8??

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    You're welcome :smile:. I don't know the Canon lens, but IIRC it has a good reputation. I guess you can't really go wrong with either one of them, although adapters for Canon lenses are slightly less straightforward and can be a bit of a hassle. Minolta lenses are just put on the adapter and that's it.

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Sorry, the links don't seem to work well, I only see a small picture without any product information. Or perhaps it's there hidden in Chinese which is undecipherable for me :smile:.

16. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Difference between these two. I've attached them here.

Attached Files:

17. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The first one looks like a Vivitar 135/2.8. Depending on the serial number these are made by Kiron (serial no. starting with 22), Komine (28... serial no) or others. I've had a Vivitar 135/2.8 made by Komine, which is reputedly one of the best, but my Minolta MD 135/2.8 is better. The Vivitar needs stopping down to f/5.6 for optimal quality, the Minolta is excellent at f/4. And I prefer the contrast and rich colours of the Minolta lens.

This Minolta 135/2.8 type is simply excellent, both optically and mechanically. It's quite heavy though at 535g. It looks like it has a metal aperture ring which it makes it kind of a collector's item because they are rarer than the same lens with plastic aperture ring. For image quality this is of course irrelevant.

You didn't mention prices, but I'd go without hesitation for the Minolta if it's reasonably priced (that would be less than 50 euros in Europe).

18. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The second one would be a Minolta MD 135/2.8 right?

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Yep, no doubt about it :smile:.