Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RichDesmond, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Am I just missing them or are there no teleconverters for the m43 system?
    If not, is there some physical reason for that or do Panasonic and Oly just think that there's no market for them?
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No, there's not, and I'm not aware of any reason why there couldn't be - they exist for regular 4/3's.

IMHO, they don't make much sense until fast lenses are released due to the light loss, but as they fill out those gaps in the lineup, a TC sure would help us get closer to a fast tele solution.

I would love one to help minimize the number of lenses I take on travel. The proposed 35-100 f/2.8ish with a 2x teleconverter would be great for me.
  3. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    At the present there are none that I am aware of. As for why I can think of two reasons and both are just my opinion. 1) The system is still relatively new and they haven't gotten around to makeing them yet, there are still holes in the basic line up that the companies are trying to fill first. 2) The lack of fast len's untill just the past few months there were very few fast primes and still no fast zooms. Right now for primes you have 12mm 2.0, 14mm 2.5, 17mm 2.8, 20mm 1.7, 25mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8 all auto focus then theres the 25mm .95 manuel focus Nokton, but like I said most of this has come out in the not to distant past. I would say there is a market now for a teleconverter. How long it will take is anyones guess.......Chris
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys, 'preciate it.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    45mm is still pretty short. Teleconverters make a lot more sense if you already have some reach, but need more.

Of course, adapted lenses that have their own teleconverters (like the EC-1.4 for 4/3 lenses) can be used on m4/3 too.

6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I expect we'll see a teleconverter when someone launches a fast 200mm or 300mm prime. And I don't think we'll see that anytime soon.
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    1.4x and 2x TCs would make a lot of sense with the 35-100 "fast" zoom Panasonic has announced. The 70-200 2.8 lens and TC is a very popular combination on DSLRs. With the 1.4 X you'd have the equivalent of a 280mm f/4, which is a stop faster than the 100-300 at that focal length. With the 2x you'd have a 400 equivalent, which doesn't exist at all for m43.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Except for the Panasonic 45-200mm and 100-300mm lenses. If the 35-100mm lens is f/2.8 at 100mm, which it likely will be, then it will be f/5.6 zoomed all the way in, with a 2x teleconverter. Although, the image quality might be better than the 45-200mm.
  9. blofeld

blofeld New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Helsinki, Finland
    Would be great with vintage lenses too

Not to mention the benefits with vintage lenses: especially 16mm / super 16mm format cinema primes. 1.5x teleconverter should increase their image circle enough so that they would cover the 4/3 sensor completely without vignetting.

I actually just sent a mail to Noktor about this. Innovative, small and nimble company, they could pull this off. I would be the first in line!