Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PENpal, Sep 9, 2011.

1. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I plan to take photos of birds at the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge here in Upstate NY. I have a 55 mm and a 200mm lens plus a 2x teleconverter. I haven't tried using a teleconverter yet . Will it be okay to use it on both?

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Are you talking a teleconverter for adapted lenses mounted behind the lens (but in front of the requisite adapter), or the type of teleconverter that screws onto the front of your lens?

There are a handful of screw on types made by Olympus that are of good optical quality, but if the one you have is generic (i.e. an unknown brand, other than perhaps raynox as well) it likely won't yield very pleasing results. If it is a screw-on type, the thread will need to match the diameter of the lenses you'll be mounting it on.

There won't be much point in using the teleconverter on the wider lens (55mm), teleconverters are typically meant for longer focal length lenses.

Finally, you'll need good light because 2x teleconverters typically lose about 2 stops of light (meaning if you put it on an f5.6 lens it will be the equivalent of f11). If you're shooting birds, it will be tough to stop the action as well since they are generally a moving target.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Please be more specific. :) What kind of 2x teleconverter (just about every make has a 1.4x and a 2x teleconverter) and what type of 55mm and 200mm lenses?

If they all fit with the same mount, then you should be fine... just stay away from conversion lenses that fit in FRONT of your front lens element, instead of mounted between the lens and camera behind the rear element.

A 1.4x teleconverter will lose 1 stop of light (ie, an f/2.8 lens will become an f/4), while a 2x teleconverter will lose 2 stops of light (ie, an f/2.8 lens will become an f/5.6). Most 1.4x teleconverters retain good optical quality, while 2x teleconverters start to show some degradation.

4. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful tips , Pxpaulx and Ned . What I have is a samigon 2x for m42 lenses that is attached to the m43 adapter. I will be attaching this to the 200 mm Rokunar 3.5 and maybe to a 55mm Chinon 1.7...

Kahn: What must we say of a mirror that receives tranquillity, yet reflects a troubled brow? The mirror I spoke of was you, student Caine.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the clarification. :) This combination should work fine... with the 2 stops of light loss, of course. Since you won't see your "corrected" aperture (that would only be seen using an all-digital system), you'll just find that you need a slower shutter speed for the same exposure.

• Like Like x 1