teleconverters on telephoto lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pellicle, Feb 21, 2014.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

having had FD and OM 300mm lenses for a while I've often been curious as to exactly what benefit a x2 teleconverter brings to using on the m4/3 cameras (which are essentially a x2 anyway). I thought I'd put down some money and bought a Canon FD x2-A teleconverter lens and try it on my FD300mm f4

I put this on my blog if anyone is interested.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/02/teles-with-teleconverters.html

there are no ads on my blog, nor is it 'monetised' so don't worry about it being a 'stick-up'

Hope that helps anyone who may have been thinking about this themselves

:) 

2. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I believe you basically proved to yourself that teleconverters are only really worth it if you have the fastest lenses money can buy. As soon as maximum aperture becomes f/8 it tends to become rather less useful, especially since you'll need to stop down a bit for improved sharpness. Your 2x converter would likely be far more useful on a 300/2.8. I have a 2x converter with my 500 f/4 and I practically never get sharp images with 1000/f/8. An 1.4 converter would give me 700/5.6, I believe that could be far more useful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.