1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Teleconverter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by salvatore64, Aug 11, 2013.

1. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    So for the past year I've been shooting with the digital tc on my OMD with out knowing it. I just realized it was on... So my question is has it effected the quality if my shots? Or is it the same? And how do I set my FN 2 button to trigger the tc? I never changed any of the factory setting I don't think .

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The only quality it would affect is that it throws away 50% of the image, in order to give the 2x digital zoom. So you would have been shooting an 8MP camera instead of a 16MP.

3. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Wow, so I have to say Olympus makes a great 8mp camera lol.

4. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    So does that mean it is better to not use the tc and crop the picture ? Or is that the same thing?

5. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Ok so I figured out how to set up the fn2 button for tc. I think I just fell in love with this camera again!

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Cropping the picture to half area would be the same thing as engaging the TC. Most people I know would rather crop in post, as it gives them the freedom to crop less than half the area if they chose.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I believe it is most useful when shooting video. Normal video downsamples so it is 1080p, with the tc mode on you just use the center of the sensor and get better tele video.

It gives you a lot more versatility without need to switch lenses in video.

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    If you were shooting RAW it has no effect on your shots, only if you were shooting JPEGs.
    And it does not only do just "straight crop". What it does is crop the center of the image and then resample the image back to the original resolution that you have the camera set on.
    So a lot of people - including myself - do feel we can get better results using the Olympus Digital Teleconverter (at least on the newer cameras) than just cropping in post processing. I have used it on the EM5, EP5 and the XZ-1 and XZ-2 and cannot believe the quality I get from it.