Teleconverter: what is the expected behaviour?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mazg, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I am just starting out with some adapted lenses I picked up as part of a Canon FD kit (with AE-1) at a fleamarket.

I have a Canon FD 50 1.8 which is working awesome with an adapter I picked up from ebay. I have also tried a Canon FD mount Tamron Adaptall 80-210, not a spectactular lens but decent enough. As part of the same Canon kit, I have a Soligor MP Auto Teleconverter 2x to fit C/FD. This teleconverter sits between the lens and the camera.

When I try it with the 50 1.8 on either camera (the Panny G5 or the AE-1) everything is blurry across the whole focus range.
    When I try it with the 80-210 on the G5, it is working like a close up macro adapter, i.e. will only focus close up. When I try it with the AE-1 it will focus at all focal lengths including 210mm.

Is this the expected behaviour of the teleconverter? I had hoped to be able to focus the 50 1.8 (effectively making it a 200mm).
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Teleconverters not only spread the image, thus changing the angle of view; but they also soften the image. This softening is more acute the shorter the focal length of the lens that is fitted and much more noticeable the larger the aperture. A 2x teleconverter will double the effective focal length but it will also cut 2 stops of light and reduce the resolution by a factor of two.

However you should be able to get some focus with a 50mm and a 2x TC! Soligor is not know for being the best lenses out there so it is possible that it is not a good design. A much better solution optically would be to get a good 100mm or 105mm f2.8 lens. The Nikon series E 100mm would be a very good choice and it is light and compact to boot. Canon also had a nice 100mm f2.8 and an even faster f2{although I bet it is expensive}.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Tele lenses are so inexpensive in comparison to 50mm and below that unless you need an extreme focal length it's better to spring for the lens. You can buy 135mm-200mm lenses all day long on flea bay for $20 including shipping. I think the Minolta Rokkor lenses are real great values to be had cheap. It doesn't take much for a teleconverter to mess with your images.