teleconverter question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dave, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Morning All,

so my question is... if i have a 400mm prime can i use a teleconverter on it and still use it on a :43: camera ? I'm thinking maybey a 1.4x tele or somethign of tha nature. I know ill loose a stop or two of light but i was just currious. Is anyone using a similar system to this on :43:?
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've not tried this, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. As with all TCs, you'll lose some sharpness, and speed as you already know.

But geez, 400x1.4 is 560, then the 2x crop factor gives you the equivalent of 1120mm. What the heck are you shooting?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    my primary target is birds/wildlife, i think this would be a good lens for waterfowl and other critters around water, most likley i would not need the tele very often but i was just currious how it would perform. I have noticed that generally speaking there is more than enoph light around water with reflections and such that losing an f stop or two shouldnt hurt to bad thats the reason for the inquiry. thanks.
  4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I also wonder if it might worked? If the tc such as oly 14/20 might deliver a lowest quality why they labeled with so expensive price?

And am I right about this, the fix/zoom manual lens only worked with manual/analog tele con and for the digital lens worked with the tc such as 14/20?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Ep-L1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, no... the Olympus teleconverters (like the EC-14 and EC-20) are the highest rated on the market. Even the Canon and Nikon guys tend to praise them. What Meyerweb was saying is that a teleconverter in general can only degrade image quality if anything and can never improve it.

This is why a high-grade TC such as the EC-14 or EC-20 is so important to have over buying random third-party or legacy brands. Spending the $550 on a decent teleconverter will avoid or minimize this degradation. You'd have to have some really top-notch glass to see much difference from the EC-14, though the EC-20 will show degradation sooner simply because it's a much more powerful magnification. This is one of the main reasons why I convert all my SLR lenses to Four-Thirds instead of directly to Micro Four-Thirds. Four-Thirds allows me to use the same high-grade teleconverter on ALL my lenses. Otherwise, you would have to get a teleconverter which fits the mount of that particular lens. That means you may end up with a cheap teleconverter on one lens and a good one on another. If you spend the money on all good teleconverters for every lens, then that's a huge expense!

The only lenses I can't use my Olympus teleconverter on are the rangefinder, cine, Pen F, and Micro Four-Thirds lenses. Pretty much all SLR lenses are game (well, except for Konica AR, but that's because I don't want to make the lens modifications so I adapt them to m4/3 instead).

Nope, the digital teleconverter works with all manual lenses. The only difference in the digital version is that it has electric communication so that using a 4/3 or m4/3 body with a 4/3 lens will still retain full electronic control of the lens, such as aperture control, fly-by-wire focus, EXIF data, etc. When mounted with a manual lens, it becomes an all-manual teleconverter.

The EC-14 will give 1.4x magnification and lose 1 stop of light, while the EC-20 will give 2.0x magnification and lose 2 stops of light. I don't know of any teleconverters which do not follow that same formula.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Pretty much correct, except I'd probably say a TC WILL degrade image quality, even if only slightly. A TC magnifies everything coming out of the original lens, including aberrations. But a good TC, that's well matched to the lens in front of it, will cause only a small degradation.

I did a comparison a few years ago using a Canon lens and matching TCs (1.4x and 2x) versus simply cropping and enlarging in photoshop. I found the 1.4x to be slightly superior to simply cropping. In the case of the 2x, it was hard to judge; they weren't identical, but I couldn't say one was clearly better than the other. (These tests were only at the center of the image--I didn't compare the sides.)
  7. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks all thats pretty much what i thought, i didnt think their would be a problem using a tele conv, just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something. :bravo-009: